• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Innorel for spotting scope 85 mm - good Idea? (1 Viewer)

sperling

Poland
Hello. I bought a Kowa 883 spotting scope. I'm from Poland and I don't want an expensive tripod (Gitzo, RRS etc.).
I am considering purchasing one of these 3 tripods:
Innorel RT90CG
https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Tripod-INNOREL-RT90CG-Professional-Camouflage/dp/B0945X5J7W,
Innorel LT364CG
https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-INNOREL-LT364CG-Adapter-Professional-Camouflage/dp/B0945X4X67,
or Innorel LT324CG
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tripod-INNOREL-LT324CG-Professional-Photography/dp/B0946D1VPZ
I have a height of 165cm / 65inch / 5.41feet.
The observation height (up to the eye) is 151-155cm / 59.4-61.0inch / 4.95-5.01feet.
I will carry the equipment by bicycle or on foot (up to 15 km / 9.3 miles).
The head will be directly on the legs of the tripod (not on the center column).
I want stiffness and minimal vibration.
The panoramic head is also supposed to be not too expensive (~ 100-200 USD). Which head (Sirui, Manfrotto, other)?
The Innorel LT324CG is perfect for my height. I think so.
The angular spotting scope will have approximately 20cm shortest, thinnest legs (22mm / 8.75inch) in the normal spotting scope position (standing observation). This will increase the stiffness. I can add some weight to the tripod.
Will it meet my requirements Innorel LT324CG whether to choose LT364CG, bigger and heavier? Or maybe a different tripod?
I am asking for discussion, suggestions, comments.
Thank you in advance.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Your post should get some attention shortly :)

Congratulations on the Kowa 883! I use a 80mm Svbony SV406P, similar weight class. For tripod I have a Sirui ET-2004 and for video head Sirui VA-5. Everything works smoothly and fits in my backpack when I cycle to my observing sites.

The VA-5 weighs 700g but has a fixed 1 kg counter balance spring. Very helpful when pointing the scope. Innorel has video heads with counter balance also, but they are bigger and heavier, very similar to the Sirui VH-10/VH-15. VA-5 uses Arca Swiss plate, VH-10/15 and Innorel F60/80 etc use Manfrotto-style video plates.

For tripod, if the weight rating is 2x or more compared to the scope+head, you should have no problem. Normally I do not extend the thinnest tripod leg section, and have the centre column extended about 1/3 up. It works well for most situations.

Congratulations on the Kowa 883! I use a 80mm Svbony SV406P, similar weight class. For tripod I have a Sirui ET-2004 and for video head Sirui VA-5. Everything works smoothly and fits in my backpack when I cycle to my observing sites.

For tripod, if the weight rating is 2x or more compared to the scope+head, you should have no problem. Normally I do not extend the thinnest tripod leg section, and have the centre column extended about 1/3 up. It works well for most situations.
Thank you for help. Your scope is 300 gr = 10.6 oz lighter than mine. Your tripod weighs 1600-363 = 1237 gr = 43.6 oz excluding the point.
You are using a column. It reduces the price, but you don't extend the tripod legs completely. I will not have a column. to grow.
The Innorell 324CG weighs 300g = 30oz more than your tripod and features Toray 10 layers carbon fiber. That this choice will now be for KOWA 883.
You're right. The Sirui head has a good reputation as a compact head. I also have a good Chinese Cayer H4 / Avella V501 head: weight 0.85 kg = 30.0 oz. Carrying Capacity 5-6 kg = 11-13.2 lbs. Valid on the forum, and not only here, the heavy and large Manfrotto MVH500AH is recommended for heavy spotting scopes.
Do you have any suggestions for me, comments about the tripod?

Thank you for help. Your scope is 300 gr = 10.6 oz lighter than mine. Your tripod weighs 1600-363 = 1237 gr = 43.6 oz excluding the point.
You are using a column. It reduces the price, but you don't extend the tripod legs completely. I will not have a column. to grow.
The Innorell 324CG weighs 300g = 30oz more than your tripod and features Toray 10 layers carbon fiber. That this choice will now be for KOWA 883.
You're right. The Sirui head has a good reputation as a compact head. I also have a good Chinese Cayer H4 / Avella V501 head: weight 0.85 kg = 30.0 oz. Carrying Capacity 5-6 kg = 11-13.2 lbs. Valid on the forum, and not only here, the heavy and large Manfrotto MVH500AH is recommended for heavy spotting scopes.
Do you have any suggestions for me, comments about the tripod?
As long as the tripod you choose is rated for at least 2x the weight of scope+head, it should be stable enough for normal use (up to 60x). I made a mistake, my tripod is EN-2004 (aluminium) not ET-2004 (carbon fibre). I chose my tripod because:

(i) minimum size can fit in my backpack, or strap to my bicycle frame via the bottle cage+bungee cords;

(ii) column allows quick height adjustment when sharing the view;

(iii) weight rating was enough;

and

(iv) price was right

Some people prefer not having a column to save weight and improve stability. To me the weight saving is small (anyway the column is in 2 parts so I can use the short version to save weight).

Stability is better with the column down, but when sharing the view, another person who is taller or shorter may not be able to use the scope comfortably. And most important for me, I can quickly adjust the scope to look high or low. To adjust the 3 legs takes too much time and the bird can be gone by then.

Optimum height for me is 2 sections extended and column partly extended. Without the column I have to set the 3rd section legs at partial extension, this is slower and less convenient. On narrow trails the bigger footprint may also block other users (hikers, bikers).

I also considered the MVH500AH but chose the VA-5 because:

(i) others here and on Rokslide had already used it successfully with 80mm scopes;

(ii) smaller and lighter, important when transporting by bicycle and carrying on a hike;

(iii) long warranty+good reputation;

(iv) no reported issues;

(v) Arca Swiss plate; and

(vi) much cheaper than MVH500AH in my country

Your Kowa is closer to the 80mm weight class. Ideally you can order both heads and return the one you don't want. Anyway you already have a video head, if that works for your Kowa you can just keep it.

Dziękuje Ci za pomoc. Twój celownik jest o 300 gr = 10,6 uncji lżejszy od mojego. Twój statyw waży 1600-363 = 1237 gr = 43,6 uncji bez grotu.
Używasz kolumny. Obniża cenę, ale nie wysuwasz całkowicie nóg statywu. Nie będę miał kolumny. rosnąć.
Innorell 324CG waży 300g = 30 uncji więcej niż Twój statyw i jest wyposażony w 10-warstwowe włókno węglowe Toray. Że ten wybór będzie teraz dotyczył KOWA 883.
Masz rację. Głowica Sirui ma dobrą reputację jako głowica kompaktowa. Mam też dobrą chińską głowicę Cayer H4/Avella V501: waga 0,85 kg = 30,0 oz. Nośność 5-6 kg = 11-13,2 funta. Obowiązująca na forum i nie tylko tutaj, ciężka i duża Manfrotto MVH500AH jest polecana do ciężkich lunet obserwacyjnych.
Masz dla mnie jakieś sugestie, uwagi dotyczące statywu?

Hello
I use a Innorel NT364C carbon tripod (without center column) to support an overall load of 5,2 kgs (4,2kg binoscope 20x70+ 1,0kg Sirui VH-10 fluid head, see attached pic) and to date I am very satisfied with it: it seems to me to be a fine product (and of a good manufacturer) at a price that is a bargain IMHO

Attachments

• P1150428.JPG
    P1150428.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi All , I have just bought the RT90C tripod and wow what a beast .... Rock solid . I use a 410 geared head for use with ATS 65 / Vortex Moa reticle eyepiece and a Sirui 40x Head for the rifles and the tripod does both very well . Recently bought another Mounting pan as it makes it so easy to swith heads .

OSOK

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back