• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Setup for heavy Camera/Lenses (1 Viewer)

I use the Feisol CT-3472 which has a load capacity of 66 lb. It has an optional leveling base and an optional center column kit which greatly increase its versatility. I have used it with the Custom Brackets gimbal when traveling and the Gitzo gimbal for domestic use.

I am getting into shooting video and added the Robus RC-5570 that has a load capacity of 55 lb and has a quick change from a standard base plate for a head to a 75mm bowl for mounting a video head. I use it with the Sachtler ACE XL video head. It provides more than enough support with my mirrorless cameras with their internal image stabilization.

I use the Feisol CT-3472 which has a load capacity of 66 lb. It has an optional leveling base and an optional center column kit which greatly increase its versatility. I have used it with the Custom Brackets gimbal when traveling and the Gitzo gimbal for domestic use.

I am getting into shooting video and added the Robus RC-5570 that has a load capacity of 55 lb and has a quick change from a standard base plate for a head to a 75mm bowl for mounting a video head. I use it with the Sachtler ACE XL video head. It provides more than enough support with my mirrorless cameras with their internal image stabilization.
Just wow, that is serious stuff.
If possible, it would really help set the boundaries for this topic discussion if you would post the weights and costs for these components.
I think few people appreciate the effort and investment needed for top notch nature photography.

Tripods do not wear out or become obsolete so I view it as a lifetime investment for the most part. The same has applied to the tripod heads and I stick with Arca-Swiss compatible heads and even have a lens plate attached to my spotting scope so I can use it on any of my tripods.

Video changes my tripod head needs and it is largely due to the arrival of image stabilized cameras that video has become very attractive. Animal behavior is most readily captured with video and there is the bonus of capturing audio as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back