• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod stud for Swarovski NL (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know what thread size is behind the hinge cover plate on NL?

Here is my dilemma. I already have the Swarovski TAs-SLC tripod adapter which I like a lot when used with SLC 15x56 HD. I have been able to use it on other binos such as Nikon MHG because they all have the standard 1/4"-20 thread behind the cover plate on their central hinge. All I need is to buy an additional stud for each pair of binos, which can be had both from Swarovski and third party.

However, NL appears to have a different tripod thread size. I understand Outdoorsman already have their own solution for NL. My question is whether there is any other solution that does not require me to completely abandon the very nice TAs-SLC adapter system I already have for all my other binos. If I know the thread size, can I just use an adapter screw to reduce the thread size to the standard 1/4"-20 so that the normal TAs-SLC stud can be used?

Also, as an engineer myself, I have not yet figured out what is the compelling reason NL is designed with a different adapter thread than 1/4"-20? What problem it is trying to solve? Or is it just frivolously create a new problem for the NL owners without any merit?

The 10x42 NL itself is very nice, very compact but a bit heavy for its size. Very bright, contrasty images, sharp to the edge. The field of view is very large but no where near the claim of "without edge". (I am not complaining because I also clearly see the edge of 100 degree FOV of Ethos eyepieces.) Balance and hand-hold feel are outstanding. The objective cover is a bit on the loose side but tolerable. The ocular cover is way too tight but I expect to be user fixable by removing tiny bit of the rubber on the inside of the ocular cover. This leaves the non-standard tripod thread the only item I am not happy about this otherwise wonderful instrument.

Thanks!

Haibo

Hi Haibo,

The NL brochure (aka Fact Sheet) states that the Swarovski UTA/ Universal Tripod Adaptor is the intended mount
See both:
• the details from the 5.1 MB Fact Sheet, found at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Fact-sheet-NL-Pure?language=en_US, and
• two images of the UTA

Also see two images of the Outdoorsmans stud adapter for the NL:
• the first is from Matt Cashell’s NL review at: https://www.rokslide.com/swarovski-nl-pure-12x42-binocular-review/, and
• the second is from the Outdoorsmans site at: https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/studs-adapters/products/outdoorsmans-nl-pure-stud

In the first review attached to the page on the Outdoorsmans site it states that:
‘The thread is fine and there are only three threads of engagement’

So whatever function the thread on the NL serves, it would seem clear that it’s not intended to be used as part of a tripod mount
And it’s not hard to imagine how suspending a US $3K binocular by only 3 turns of a fine thread is likely at some point to lead to grief
- And then how Swarovski would not consider any resulting damage as being covered by its warranty!
So I'd be very wary of the stud adapter

John

Attachments

• NL Accessories.jpg
    NL Accessories.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 45
  • UTA.jpg
    UTA.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 41
  • UTA in use.jpg
    UTA in use.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 58
  • NL x42 vs EL x50.jpg
    NL x42 vs EL x50.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Outdoorsmans stud.jpg
    Outdoorsmans stud.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Hi Haibo,

The NL brochure (aka Fact Sheet) states that the Swarovski UTA/ Universal Tripod Adaptor is the intended mount
See both:
• the details from the 5.1 MB Fact Sheet, found at: https://myservice.swarovskioptik.com/s/article/Fact-sheet-NL-Pure?language=en_US, and
• two images of the UTA

Also see two images of the Outdoorsmans stud adapter for the NL:
• the first is from Matt Cashell’s NL review at: https://www.rokslide.com/swarovski-nl-pure-12x42-binocular-review/, and
• the second is from the Outdoorsmans site at: https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/studs-adapters/products/outdoorsmans-nl-pure-stud

In the first review attached to the page on the Outdoorsmans site it states that:
‘The thread is fine and there are only three threads of engagement’

So whatever function the thread on the NL serves, it would seem clear that it’s not intended to be used as part of a tripod mount
And it’s not hard to imagine how suspending a US $3K binocular by only 3 turns of a fine thread is likely at some point to lead to grief
- And then how Swarovski would not consider any resulting damage as being covered by its warranty!
So I'd be very wary of the stud adapter

John
Hi John,

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer! It does sound like a risky idea to adapt to the thread. A video inside the second Outdoorsmans site clearly showed their custom NL stud with fairly large thread diameter but small pitch distance with only a few turns. I suspect the exterior rod diameter on Outdoorsmans stud is not going to be the same as that on Swarovski Ta-SLC stud, so likely not adaptable between the two. So at least for now, I will settle for the head rest (which is still on back-order!)

After sunset today, I was able to fit the crescent Moon, Jupiter and Saturn well inside the 7.6 degree TFOV of NL 10x42. It's quite a sight! It is one of these sights where "sharp to the edge" matters. Jupiter and Saturn is less than 1 degree apart. The distance will keep shrinking to a minimum on Dec 21st (to a fraction of the Moon size), which would be the closest in 800 years. For those birders who are also into astronomy, it's a sight worth checking out.

Best wishes!

Haibo

Hi again Haibo,

You’re right, the external portion of the Outdoorsmans’ stud is a proprietary fit for their own mounts

And the same is the case with the stud for Swarovski's TAs-SLC (Tripod Adapter for SLC)
See some images from Roger Vine’s review of the earlier SLC 15x56 neu model at: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/BinoReviews.htm
When the lever on the adapter is pushed upward, the collet fingers grasp the circumference of the stud

John

p.s. As with the EL series, it's again impossible to understand why Swarovski did not make provision for the use of a tripod mount stud on the NL
Particularly with the EL x50's, the lack of such a mounting option is a stunning omission!
It does not seem to be technically possible with the finalised products. But that does not reflect well on Swarovski's priorities during the design process

Attachments

• Stud in place.jpg
    Stud in place.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 26
  • With TASLC attached.jpg
    With TASLC attached.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 28
  • TASLC - collet fingers.jpg
    TASLC - collet fingers.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is an interesting thread. I just recently bought NL Pure 8x42. I have different tripod adapters which I have used with different Swaro binos, namely UTA, TA-SLC and also the stud from the Outdoorsmans. I also have the new Outdoorsmans stud for NL Pure but I have been very hesitant still to insert it into the binos. So, until now I have used UTA with NL Pure. I would be very nice to hear some experiences with the Outdoorsmans stud, does it work even though there is only a few threads in it? I don't use binos with the tripod but Finnstick, where there is even more necessary that the stud is firmly attached to the binos.

Hello! I found this forum by doing a Google search for a bino adapter for my NL pure binos. I realized many folks had my same problem as me without a solution.

I did find that Outdoorsman makes a “post” style adapter, but I was needing a “threaded type” like most binos that accept a 1/4”x20 thread.

So I made one!!! Actually I made 50. If anyone is needing one reach out. I’m gonna sell them for $40. I’m not looking to go into business or anything like that….just figured I’d help some likeminded folks out & I was already making one, so might as well make 50.

The adapter I made is 7075 aluminum just like the T20 torx that is currently in the end of the binos & is anodized black. You just remove the T20 torx screw & install the adapter. It has 1/4”x20 thread in the other end with a broached T20 inside it & accepts the screw type adapters. Installs in minutes.

You can email me with any questions.
[email protected]

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
I’m not a bird watcher, just noticed some ppl on here with the same problem as me with the NL pure’s & thought I could help someone out.

Here is my dilemma. I already have the Swarovski TAs-SLC tripod adapter which I like a lot when used with SLC 15x56 HD. I have been able to use it on other binos such as Nikon MHG because they all have the standard 1/4"-20 thread behind the cover plate on their central hinge. All I need is to buy an additional stud for each pair of binos, which can be had both from Swarovski and third party.

However, NL appears to have a different tripod thread size. I understand Outdoorsman already have their own solution for NL. My question is whether there is any other solution that does not require me to completely abandon the very nice TAs-SLC adapter system I already have for all my other binos. If I know the thread size, can I just use an adapter screw to reduce the thread size to the standard 1/4"-20 so that the normal TAs-SLC stud can be used?

Also, as an engineer myself, I have not yet figured out what is the compelling reason NL is designed with a different adapter thread than 1/4"-20? What problem it is trying to solve? Or is it just frivolously create a new problem for the NL owners without any merit?

The 10x42 NL itself is very nice, very compact but a bit heavy for its size. Very bright, contrasty images, sharp to the edge. The field of view is very large but no where near the claim of "without edge". (I am not complaining because I also clearly see the edge of 100 degree FOV of Ethos eyepieces.) Balance and hand-hold feel are outstanding. The objective cover is a bit on the loose side but tolerable. The ocular cover is way too tight but I expect to be user fixable by removing tiny bit of the rubber on the inside of the ocular cover. This leaves the non-standard tripod thread the only item I am not happy about this otherwise wonderful instrument.

Thanks!

Haibo
The thread size isn’t a normal “ off the shelf” size. I hade to make the threads to fit.

Thanks!

Haibo
I made my own.
13FB71FF-34EC-4921-BFDF-24D0C52C2B84.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C759D89-D24F-4FD6-A096-167110D444F3.jpeg
    0C759D89-D24F-4FD6-A096-167110D444F3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • B6D6541A-0858-4C0A-87E3-110849AB04B2.jpeg
    B6D6541A-0858-4C0A-87E3-110849AB04B2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Terve! Mistä ostit studin? Olen juuri ostanut NL Puren sekä jalustasovitin ja huomasin ettei se sovi kiikariin! Harmi. Toimiiko se hyvin kepin kanssa?
Bertil Blomqvist, Parainen

One question, how does Swarovski handle warranty issues with these self installed tripod studs, for those who are interested in getting one of these installed.

I wonder why Swarovski did not make the binoculars with a standard threaded hole like with many other binoculars?
It may be because they wanted to sell their own special rubber holder...

I wonder why Swarovski did not make the binoculars with a standard threaded hole like with many other binoculars?
It may be because they wanted to sell their own special rubber holder...
Hanging the binocs from a short thread perhaps puts undesirable stress on the rather lightweight bridge structure which is stuffed with tight tolerance focusing gears. The UTA avoids any such point loads.

RRS Cinch LR Polymer molded 45 g

Last edited:
I really like the idea behind the RRS Cinch adaptor but I wonder if there would be a tendency for it to slip a little and have one side slowly drift downward. For those who have the NL Pures and have used a stud adaptor, does the post get in the way of your hands?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back