• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod with tube, convert to non-tube? (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
I have a tripod with a hole for a tube. How do I install a head that has no tube?

Convert the tripod to non-tube? Add a tube to the new head?

I assume that you are talking about the center column. In modern tripods the center column typically stays with the tripod. The head of your choice is attached via either a 1/4" or 3/8" screw that is part of the column. Do you have the older center column, and can you unscrew the original head? Some older models had the head integral to the center column. If this is the case you would need to either find a new center column that would fit your tripod legs or fabricate something. How easy it would be to fabricate something would depend on whether or not the original column was a standard diameter.

I assume that you are talking about the center column. In modern tripods the center column typically stays with the tripod. The head of your choice is attached via either a 1/4" or 3/8" screw that is part of the column. Do you have the older center column, and can you unscrew the original head? Some older models had the head integral to the center column. If this is the case you would need to either find a new center column that would fit your tripod legs or fabricate something. How easy it would be to fabricate something would depend on whether or not the original column was a standard diameter.

Thanks. The center column (that I referred to as a "tube") on this model comes out with the head, leaving a hole in the spider of the tripod. In the tube itself, I can see the nut holding the (probably) 3/8" screw that connects the head, but I haven't been able to undo the nut.

You answered one of my questions - I have to find a new center column to attach to my new head. I had also wondered if there were a way to convert the tripod hole to remove the center column, but that doesn't appear likely.

I'll try some tripod dealers and see if they have columns for sale.

On some models, Manfrotto for example, there are setscrews that prevent the head from turning off the column. You first need to loosen the setscrews and then the head will spin off the column. Look for any secondary screws to loosen and then try putting the column back in the tripod, tighten the rotation lock as securely as possible and then give the handle a sharp rap counterclockwise.

Since there’s such a wide variety of tripods available, a photo or two would make the situation clear. With all the experience available here I’m sure someone can suggest a proper solution once they see the problem.

Best,
Jerry

Fixed.

I removed the head from the center column without having to unscrew the nut inside the column. The center column just unscrewed disconnecting the head - when I twisted the right part. Previous twisting just removed about a foot of the lower tube.

Learning process - thanks.

Fixed.

I removed the head from the center column without having to unscrew the nut inside the column. The center column just unscrewed disconnecting the head - when I twisted the right part. Previous twisting just removed about a foot of the lower tube.

Learning process - thanks.
I was about to ask that - if you wanted to simply replace the ballhead, or convert to a column-less setup...

yes, that's the way. Now if you like to switch ballheads often, consider investing in arca-swiss plates

I was about to ask that - if you wanted to simply replace the ballhead, or convert to a column-less setup...

yes, that's the way. Now if you like to switch ballheads often, consider investing in arca-swiss plates
I am considering Arca Swiss plates and clamps. I like my new Nikon ED50 and expect I'll want to swap it from tripod to car window mount.

Just to be sure I understand, though... I was considering tripod->ballhead->Arca-Swiss. Your phrasing made me suspect you might mean tripod->Arca-Swiss->ballhead. That, I had not considered, but perhaps I misunderstood you?

I am considering Arca Swiss plates and clamps. I like my new Nikon ED50 and expect I'll want to swap it from tripod to car window mount.

Just to be sure I understand, though... I was considering tripod->ballhead->Arca-Swiss. Your phrasing made me suspect you might mean tripod->Arca-Swiss->ballhead. That, I had not considered, but perhaps I misunderstood you?

No - you did not, and actually it's combination of both. One can mount a arca-swiss compatible plate on the tripod, and then mount dovetail arca-swiss plates on the ball heads - easy to swap then without fuss.
Then the ballhead itself might allow (most do) to have a lever QR or knob arca-swiss clamp plate which will accept a camera with mounted arca-swiss plate - and allow a fast and adjustable connection to ballhead
this will give you a better idea:

https://shuttermuse.com/ultimate-guide-to-camera-l-plates/

Now, all this convenience comes at a high price. buying base plates gets expensive, and tempting as Chinese knock-offs are (pricewise), they are not well made as far as precision and durability - cheap can become expensive very quickly imo.

I have converted my tripods, ballheads and cameras to the system - yes, have more than one of each :), and it's not cheap . very convenient indeed, but quite an investment

Last edited:

How would you approach setting the tripod up without a center column?

How would you approach setting the tripod up without a center column?

with your velbon, it will be a bit difficult. However, I have swapped the stock center column for a shorter one in a SILK tripod. If you can find a shorter tripod column replacement of same exact diameter, then it might be possible -assuming the velbon does not have anti-twist grooves or notches.
I would not say to go ahead and cut existing one, because there is no way to glue it back, if you change your mind or later need the extra height. However you need a center column that will have a threaded hole preferable a 3/8-16, which is a common type for mounting studs (and ball heads)- so any stock pipe would not do it it.
eBay might be a source, or even B&H for example.
Keep in mind if current column or new one have a hook at the bottom -it's a very useful feature, and would mean you would have to cut from the other end.

IOW, you can't modify yours to be without a center column, but you can cut one really very short and achieve almost the same

...If you can find a shorter tripod column replacement of same exact diameter, then it might be possible -assuming the velbon does not have anti-twist grooves or notches.
I would not say to go ahead and cut existing one, because there is no way to glue it back, if you change your mind or later need the extra height...

For the Velbon 455, it is not necessary to cut the center column to shorten it. The center column is threaded such that most of the lower part of the column can be detached by unscrewing it. It is designed like that so that when the tripod legs are splayed to maximum extent that the tripod can be used at close to ground level without the center column getting in the way.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back