• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tripods (1 Viewer)

Birding Bob

Robert Williamson
Hi all, Today whilst photographing Autumn Lady's-tresses orchid I was thinking that a tripod would be useful. Can anyone suggest a fairly cheap tripod like a benbo etc.. for photographing small orchids, insects and plants etc. that are very close to the ground.

Thanks,

Robert

Overread

Hunting birds with a canon
Do a search of ebay or local camera stores and see if you can pick up an older manfrotto 055 model tripod - the sort which have the removable centre columns. Dispite owning and using one, I don't like the new designs for the horizontal centre columns, I find that your always setting it as close to the middle as one can to avoid shake.

But for macro your going to need 2 other things as well as a set of legs.

1) Focusing rail - if you search ebay for macro focusing rails you will find a lot which are not too expensive and are decently made. The manfrotto design I am not a fan of (again I use it) and it can be prone to wabble as you adjust it.

2) Tripod head - this is the tricky part since the best head for macro is pretty much the manfrotto junior geard head (something they make that I do really like). Its not cheap sadly, so if its not in your price range go for the strongest 3way head you can find , the cheaper ballheads will suffer more from creep, 3way should be a little better but it might still be a problem

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread