• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (1 Viewer)

Evening visit 6.30pm until 8pm;

1 Kingfisher (showed well on Scribers Lane Brook)
2 Ravens (Horse Paddocks)
2 Little Egrets
1 Grey Heron
1 Blackcap
2 Chiffchaffs
1 Stock Dove

A nice suprise was a Muntjac deer near Scribers Lane and a Fox was in the Horse Paddocks.

Quick lap of the lake this evening at 6.30pm.

No migrants apart from a single Chiffchaff.

3 female Goosanders and a Great-crested Grebe back on the lake.

7 female Goosanders remained on the lake this evening. Over at Bamptons pool 9 Little Egrets were in the roost (at least) on a drive by.

9 Swallows this evening (5 through and 4 feeding over lake before continuing North)
1 Willow Warbler
Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs
2 Little Egrets
8 Goosanders (5 later flew off towards Bamptons Pool)

Female Goosander still present.
1 Willow Warbler and 1 Raven and 10+ Swallows but otherwise fairly quiet in a cold breeze.

A very interesting report from a reliable birder that an Arctic Tern was present on Tuesday 9th April, feeding over the lake for 15 minutes from 5.15pm until 5.30pm before flying off in the direction of Swanshurst Park.

I have been struggling to find any resident Kingfisher along the River Cole at Trittiford.
No fish I guess.
I had almost given up this morning when against the dawn chorus bird song, I heard the clear shrill call heading my way. I turned to see a tiny dot flying towards me. As it got closer it was obviously a Kingfisher calling.
I thought it would make a big diversion but it went past a few metres away at quite a speed calling.
There was a Buzzard hanging around tree top height.
I reckon I heard the Kingfisher from 100 metres away.
Great!

Late morning;

1 Common Whitethroat (A patch tick)
2 Ravens still
1 Little Egret on the River Cole
Lots of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs

On the Butterfly front, Holly Blue, Orange Tip, Large White, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Small Tortiseshell, Peacock and Brimstone.

A nice hours walk in the lovely weather.

Last edited:
A quick walk round the lake this evening in the showers;

A flock of 20+ Swallows flying around and feeding over the lake with 4 Swifts and 1 House Martin (a patch tick).

2 Tufted Ducks.
2 Great crested Grebes
1 Grey Heron

Spoilt;
River Cole, Trittiford, the Kingfisher will turn up without a sound right next to me. It did this early yesterday morning.

10 Swifts over the lake yesterday evening. Lots of wildfowl youngsters about including 2 Greylag. Buzzard was soaring high in the thermals. Generally quieter.

The Trittiford, River Cole Kingfisher is particularly stealth like lol. A new flight pattern & behaviour to observe.
Always good to hear Nuthatch nearby.

The River Cole was very high from the rain.
I think it flooded the Kingfisher nest.
The Kingfisher pair flew past and didn't sound happy.
Plenty of birdsong and Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Nuthatch calling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back