• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Tropical Birding During Rainy or Dry Season Best? (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
We have only birded in Colombia in October and November and birding was excellent, most birds were in breeding plumage and calling. We had minor hold ups on roads near Nevado del Ruiz and at Tatama (Montezuma) on this second one we eventually had to drive to Cali to get a plane as airports at Periera and Manizalies were closed due to low cloud but roads around Cali in November were fine.
The only road that was really bad was up to Santa Marta where after bad rains the roads were almost impassable.

I've been to Costa Rica, Brazil, Venezuela and Ecuador in the so called dry season and still had hold ups due to rain in each place so probably best not to get too hung up about the weather and just go for an itinerary that works for you both.

BruceBerman

We have only birded in Colombia in October and November and birding was excellent, most birds were in breeding plumage and calling. We had minor hold ups on roads near Nevado del Ruiz and at Tatama (Montezuma) on this second one we eventually had to drive to Cali to get a plane as airports at Periera and Manizalies were closed due to low cloud but roads around Cali in November were fine.
The only road that was really bad was up to Santa Marta where after bad rains the roads were almost impassable.

I've been to Costa Rica, Brazil, Venezuela and Ecuador in the so called dry season and still had hold ups due to rain in each place so probably best not to get too hung up about the weather and just go for an itinerary that works for you both.
Thank you for the info and taking the time to share your experiences!

Andy Adcock

Cyprus
Because I don't intend to return to most of the countries I bird in (too many birds, not enough time :-D ) I'd like to maximize my experience by seeing as many species as I possibly can. I was hoping to get some good ideas, data to feed into my decision making process, as to general rules of thumb regarding when birds are easiest found taking the weather into consideration.
It's not just a matter of birds for tour companies, they also consider the comfort of their guests. I've spent quite some time in Goa over the years and I personally wouldn't go much after Christmas, apart from the rain, the humidity builds to really uncomfortable levels.

Andy Adcock

Cyprus

Exactly, I remember gettting rained off in Vietnam, Trinidad, Borneo, Sulawesi, we lost a whole day in Costa Rica, you really are at the mercy of the weather whenever you go to certain places in the tropics.

Users who are viewing this thread