• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tropical Pewee? Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

AdrianB70

United States
Near Pocosol Biological Station, Alajuela, Costa Rica, March 16, 2019

Looks to me like Tropical Pewee, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_5692.jpg
    IMG_5692.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 30
Near Pocosol Biological Station, Alajuela, Costa Rica, March 16, 2019

Looks to me like Tropical Pewee, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Short square-tipped tail, brown breast-band contrasting strongly with pale throat, rather short primary-projection and rather "bull-headed" appearance would lead me to say WHITE-THROATED FLYCATCHER, but i'm not 100% sure of it...

Due to the fact I'm not an expert about neotropical birds, even if I've been in Costa Rica for BW, I'm very interested in hearing what experts think about it!

Ciao Igor

Last edited:
I think Tropical Pewee is correct, as this bird completely lacks an eyering, has the long dagger bill of a Contopus, and has the rather muted wingbars characteristic of Contopus.Tropical Pewee has much shorter primary projection than the wood-pewees.

Andy

Thanks for the input. For what it's worth, I considered Empidonax in the field and decided that this bird was decidedly more like a pewee in shape and habits. No hint of an eyering and the slender elongate shape (albeit distinctly less so than Eastern/Western Wood-Pewees) were the main things I noted, as well as the fact that it returned repeatedly to a few particular open perches and sat there rather than moving around foraging in more leafy areas like I think of Empidonax tending to do. I have to admit I have no experience with White-throated Flycatcher, but a pewee certainly seems a better fit.

Thanks a lot, I never finish to learn about birds, especially birds living far from my country!
In late april I will be in Panama for BW with friends and I will surely use your remarks and tips on Contopus ID.
Thanks

Ciao, Igor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back