• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Tropical Storm Birding! (1 Viewer)

Yeah I thought the same thing. A nice little depression was moving through the area, possibly with it a few interesting offshore species. A year ago somebody had a Sabine's Gull and a Sooty Tern off Fire Island. And that's where I was planning to go that day, in the company of BF user BEBirder.
Driving down there though, I couldn't help noticing the clouds were moving toward the south, not from it. That had me worried, but what do I know about weather? Apparently I knew a bit more than I thought because in ten minutes I was standing on the beach, looking south to the calmest Atlantic Ocean I'd seen in a few months, with the wind blowing in my face. As you can guess, no jaegers, tropical surprises. Just a gannet to remind us of the storm (even though it probably wasn't even storm-related). And to top it off, a possibly interesting mudflat was flooded, so all we got from that were Black-bellied Plover, oystercatchers and a Least Sandpiper. And a flyover Greater Yellowlegs come to think of it. BUT on the way back a Whimbrel flew overhead. Oh yeah, we also heard what was surely a Dickcissel calling, but never managed to locate it. Fire Island is famous for its raptors, and today didn't disappoint. Probably 15-25 Merlin, a likely Peregrine, one Osprey, one harrier and two Sharp-shinned Hawk (one of which was deceased). Back on the mainland I had a Red-tailed Hawk. The sharpie was the only new state bird of the day for me, bringing my state/year total up to 222, which is somewhat depressing as that means I've only seen fifty species exclusively outside of NY, and that would include trips to FL and Nova Scotia!

lostinjapan

Whimbrel..ha two a penny over here!

I was drooling over American Oik, Sharp-shinned Hawk and Red-tailed Hawk..wouldn't mind Least Sandpiper or greter Yellowlegs again either.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread