• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Truck and car Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Yes, as originator of the thread, I was interested in how much the heat and cold changes would abuse a pair left in the auto for 24/7- 365. After a lot of responses, I'm delighted that it's not as damaging as I had imagined.

Which pair is left in the auto, if any, is up to the individual. Chances of break-in greatly effect the choice as well.
I think for me, it's a pleasant-viewing cheap pair.

FWIW, cold is no issue but heat is. Leave a cheap binocular on the dashboard in the full sun, the plastic will go soft and the weight of the glass will deform the shape and after cooling down the bin is ruined.

Jan

FWIW, cold is no issue but heat is. Leave a cheap binocular on the dashboard in the full sun, the plastic will go soft and the weight of the glass will deform the shape and after cooling down the bin is ruined.

Jan

That is the reason why I keep my bins under the driver seat... although the Hensoldt DF is probably not that sensitive...
Also of course to keep them out of sight of possible thieves... especially in a convertible a little theft can get very expensive if the thieves decided to go through the roof...

Joachim

I just simply keep a shoulder bag in our vehicles when going anywhere with any of my optics. I Transport/carry them with me when outside of my car or any other insecure place where they may be able to be stolen. I do this every time no exceptions. Even stowed in the boot or trunk of your vehicle , once they break into your car access to the trunk is a piece of cake.

I used to keep a pair of Bushnell 12x25 in the car, but they weren't too good (my father in law found them in the local woods some years ago), so I reverted to my original binoculars I'd had since about 1966. They're old Military Officers binoculars from 1945 - 6x30 Bino prism no 2 mk 3 - almost indestructable. Cost my grandfather about £7.50 I think from Charles Frank of Glasgow, sent for them from Exchange and Mart! Absolutely fine for keeping in the car.

Right now I have a set of Vortex Viper 8x42's in my trunk all the time.

I bought them in as new condition on the bay for $180 less than they typically sell for new.

These are SUPER handy to have on hand for a multitude of uses day to day, and the quality might not be as good as my big three choices I would normally take in the field, they are of good enough quality to fill their post.

They are in their 'GlassPack" case, and with Vortex's warranty I have no concerns for damage (and cost is not so high where theft would kill me).

I used to have some 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB which are now in my work truck full time.

Right now I have a set of Vortex Viper 8x42's in my trunk all the time.

I bought them in as new condition on the bay for $180 less than they typically sell for new.

These are SUPER handy to have on hand for a multitude of uses day to day, and the quality might not be as good as my big three choices I would normally take in the field, they are of good enough quality to fill their post.

They are in their 'GlassPack" case, and with Vortex's warranty I have no concerns for damage (and cost is not so high where theft would kill me).

I used to have some 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB which are now in my work truck full time.
I have two Pentax 8x32 SPs that, in spite of being close to 20 years old, are both really excellent and they live in the trunks of each of my cars. Living in coastal California no problems with extreme cold or heat.

I keep a fairly good but not top pair in my car. I have seen quite a few "life birds" with them, e.g. after going some place with the main goal of hiking / biking / ... .
One trick I use is to keep them in a place that's not really in the airspace of the car, so that they don't heat nearly as much when the car is parked in the sun. An enclosed trunk in a sedan would work, a spare-wheel pit also, etc. Not in the glove box.

Yup this is also the same as the Cabela’s guide series 8x32 I bought on close out. Have had them in my car in extreme hot and cold with no problems. Great optics and build quality as well. Made in Japan
That is a sleeper 8X32, I was impressed at the performance for the price.

One's climate, local public safety, and time exposure of the vehicle to the elements has everything to do with what you might or might not do with truck-and-car binoculars. Here's what works for my situation:

In my central Arizona environment, the concern is with heat. As I am retired, my vehicles are only out in the elements when I am out shopping or dining. They don't sit outside in the sun all day long. And the crime risk, where I frequent, is very low. Otherwise, the vehicles are at home in my garage (which is also hot for half of the year). I don't feel the need to use low-cost binoculars, because I don't subject them to much risk at all.

What I do is, I have a padded, slim and very compact camera shoulder bag. It's about the size and shape of a pair of 7x42 bins. The bag is just large enough to hold a pair of compact Leica UVHD+ 10x32 bins and a very compact m4/3 camera.
51434258338_7a5a4cf897_o.jpg

It's got outside pockets, front and back, as well.

When I am about to leave the house, I put the 10x32s in the bag, where the little camera already resides.
51434021366_ecc92ed155_o.jpg

And, I slip one of those small (frozen) freezer bags (typically used for keeping perishables cool while being shipped) into the outside pocket.
51433266727_937eb285d5_o.jpg

51434991495_2f6944e1a9_o.jpg

When getting in the vehicle, I place the camera bag under the driver seat. Between the blacked-out window tinting and these sitting under the seat - there is nothing to lure a break-in. And crime is very low in our area.

The freezer pack, in the outside pocket, keeps the Leicas and the camera nice and cool, even when the truck or SUV gets hot inside during a lunch, or while shopping.

When I get back home, the small camera bag comes back in the house, and freezer pack goes back in the freezer - the Leicas and camera are not left in a vehicle at all times; they are only in the vehicle while I'm out and about.

This approach takes a little more effort than just leaving a pair of bins in the vehicles all the time, but at least I'm always using top-deck binoculars, home and away. And always have a competent camera at hand, as well. Works for me.

Last edited:
I've never had trouble with binoculars or dslr cameras in the cold. The dslr's (Nikon) have never failed me down into the -40's (50's if you a fahrenheit type) Binocular focusing gets stiff at those temps, and aren't really useable anyway as your warmth/breath will fog them within a few seconds. I would think heat can do more damage in a car. My truck bins are Bushnell Discoverer 7x42's.

I've never had trouble with binoculars or dslr cameras in the cold. The dslr's (Nikon) have never failed me down into the -40's (50's if you a fahrenheit type) Binocular focusing gets stiff at those temps, and aren't really useable anyway as your warmth/breath will fog them within a few seconds. I would think heat can do more damage in a car. My truck bins are Bushnell Discoverer 7x42's.

Another vote for Nikon 7x35 action extremes…those superwide views are awesome!

if you want something smaller that can go from glovebox to your pocket on the go…Nikon 8x25 trailblazers 8x25 or Maven 7x28

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back