• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to be Nigel Blake (Owl photography) (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
(Owl photography)

Spurred on by images and articles on the subject from Nigel Blake, i have occasionally taken a few hours out of my night to drive slowly around my local country lanes (and been reported to the police twice :) looking for Owls particularly, to photograph.
Nigel is right, its amazing what you can find and i now know a few regular areas where there is a chance of seeing Barn Owls and several perches regularly used by Tawny Owls on damp nights, a few nights ago i managed to see at least six, and heard many more. My best encounter yet was with a Barn Owl early one morning last month at what I assume was its roosting tree. Perhaps the most unexpected encounter was with this feeding Woodcock last week, i am very pleased to have seen this species so well, all my previous sighting had been of birds in flight.

With daylight birding almost out of the question during the week now, i would recommend getting out at night to anyone who needs there fix, Tawnys should be pretty obvious as they are hooting a lot at the moment with there breeding season not to far away, this spring I will have better equipment to get some shots, fingers crossed.

Many thanks to Nigel for his advise on this forum in Birdwatching Mag last month and other sources on the web etc, it’s a great way to get your birding fix, now that the days are so short, and hopefully some great pictures.

Regards

Richard

Attachments

• woodcock 3891_RT8 lw.jpg
    woodcock 3891_RT8 lw.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 269
  • barn owl 3234 lw.jpg
    barn owl 3234 lw.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Barn Owl 3235 lw.jpg
    Barn Owl 3235 lw.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Great photos Richard, I was also inspired by Nigel's article, todate I've not managed to see any, I shall keep trying, I did spot hares though which I've never seen before.

Hi Richard Great shot's just had a wander around your website, impressive.

Curious as to equipment used for your Owl etc shots I am presuming they were not digiscoped. I could not find any reference on your website as to other setups you use?

Pete

Hi All and thanks for the complements about the images and my site

pete schofield said:
Hi Richard Great shot's just had a wander around your website, impressive.

Curious as to equipment used for your Owl etc shots I am presuming they were not digiscoped. I could not find any reference on your website as to other setups you use?

Pete

Pete you are right the owls are not Digiscoped, though i have tried with no success, i think it would be possible though with the use of a powerful flashgun, though much easier with a DSLR. I have a Canon 300d with a Sigma 135-400 lens, and flashgun (poor mans version of Nigel’s set-up :). I know the shots i want are possible now having practised on the above subjects and Pheasants etc, provided there in range of the flashgun. Despite Tawnys being by far the commonest i have not found them easy to get close to since i have had the necessary equipment.

Dave Adshead said:
Great photos Richard, I was also inspired by Nigel's article, todate I've not managed to see any, I shall keep trying, I did spot hares though which I've never seen before.

Hi Dave

Yes its not only birds that i have seen at night its a whole new world really. I have had some interesting encounters with Hares, Badgers, Fox, Deer and roosting daytime birds like pigeons and Pheasants.

ATB

Rich

Brilliant, I should think about doing a night time session. Do you just drive around with lights full on or get out and walk with a torch?

bert said:
Richard, truly superb photos, thanks for showing them.
bert.

Just a friendly word of advice to anyone thinking about going out with a high powered torch - and Richard has touched on it already. It might be wise to inform the local police what you intend to do and when you're going to do it, and it might be better to keep off 'keepered estates (unless you inform the 'keeper too) or you might find a Land Rover bearing down on you at a vast rate of knots! Illegal lamping for deer, hares rabbits and foxes is very popular with poachers these days, and it would be difficult for someone to differentiate from a distance between someone lamping to take pictures and someone taking game illegally. Don't want to put anyone off, but it can be quite hair-raising being pulled by the police or - even worse - 'keepers!

saluki

nigelblake said:
Looks like you did good...... its adictive to isn't it!

Thanks Nigel :t:

It sure is, you never know what’s around the next corner. I have got to know several favourite perches for Tawny, but last night got my first decent photo, in a totally new territory.
Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• tawny owl_4085_RT8 lw.jpg
    tawny owl_4085_RT8 lw.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 174
Andrew said:
Brilliant, I should think about doing a night time session. Do you just drive around with lights full on or get out and walk with a torch?

Hi Andrew, Sorry

I think Nigel has covered the basic technique in other places on this forum and elsewhere. Which it to drive around looking, and generally shooting from the car. Getting out may well flush the bird, unless you are careful (ask Nigel about his LEO shots or read Birdwatching magazine (sept issue?)) Nigel is lucky that he has a companion with him doing the driving, something i can rarely wangle. Inevitably I have probably missed birds and shots.

Rich

Last edited:
saluki said:
keep off 'keepered estates (unless you inform the 'keeper too) or you might find a Land Rover bearing down on you at a vast rate of knots! Illegal lamping for deer, hares rabbits and foxes is very popular with poachers
saluki

O yeah.. woundn't have any first hand experience of this would you 'SALUKI' ;)

Seriously though you are absolutely right, I have been viewed suspiciously. I have met on several occasions the local keepers and some of them know me now, and just wave, or stop for a chat. As soon as they see I have a camera and not a gun or a Lurcher they are fine…generally. They are also pretty useful for info about local wildlife. I was followed for a while one night and consequently reported for shining a torch at houses (fair enough if it were true) it happened that I was checking out a perch I new to be a Tawnys favorite last year on the other side of the road to a house!
Saluki is right though it is well worth bearing in mind how your behaviour looks to others.

Rich

Thanks Richard, I shall have to drive around some small wooded lanes and find passing places to pause in aand shine a torch around in the trees hoping to strike it lucky. Does listening play a big part in your searches?

I have Nigel's article and found it excellent but asked to gauge the opinion of another person thereby increasing the knowledge/experience sources. Thanks again for the reply.

Andrew said:
Does listening play a big part in your searches?

Just to answer the question Andrew, No not really just driving around looking for an opportunity is the method for me.

Nigel

If you are still subscribed to this thread I would love some advise regarding photographing Barn owls in flight. After a fair bit of time put in I know a few places were I can see hunting barn owls, I now have the Canon 100-400 IS lens and am using it on the 350d body I have managed to get into positions were Barn Owls are hunting quite close to me, but have failed to nail the shots, perhaps I feel due to the dull conditions I have been in so far but I have yet to see the Owls out late or early enough. Would you use the IS lens on setting 2 for flight shots? And what focusing setting would you use on the camera, IE Servo?

Any help you or anyone can give me, would be appreciated.

Since changing my set-up I have managed a few new Tawny Owl shots, I have included one for Owl fans out there.

All the best

Richard

Attachments

• tawny owl _MG_0373 lw.jpg
    tawny owl _MG_0373 lw.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back