• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to Repair Tripod Connection (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Hi All I have an ATS 80 the thread on the tripod mount has broken, Swaro have sent me new inserts, but I can't get the old one out, much googling hasn't really helped anyone got any tips on how to remove it!! ?

Hi All I have an ATS 80 the thread on the tripod mount has broken, Swaro have sent me new inserts, but I can't get the old one out, much googling hasn't really helped anyone got any tips on how to remove it!! ?
If you can’t use a flat head screwdriver can you use a dremel tool and cutting disc to make a flathead slot? Or if it’s flush, drill a hole and use a screw extractor? Or just a screw extractor if the hole isn’t blocked. Not sure what you’re looking at exactly so it’s hard to say.

If you can’t use a flat head screwdriver can you use a dremel tool and cutting disc to make a flathead slot? Or if it’s flush, drill a hole and use a screw extractor? Or just a screw extractor if the hole isn’t blocked. Not sure what you’re looking at exactly so it’s hard to say.
Thanks ,I'm trying to remove the existing screw thread from the hole? And put a new one in. I've tried levering it out but not working I was wondering if there was a trick to it or a tool, was thinking maybe drill it out but don't what to damage the hole

This is the hole trying to get the screw thread out
If I’m seeing it right (broken adapter insert) you should be able to use a spiral or fluted screw extractor to pull it out. Home Depot or Lowe’s should have them. Ryobi spiral screw extractor seem to be the most commonly available. You should be able to press or lightly tap the tool in for it to bite and then extract with the help of an adjustable wrench. It basically bites the inside threads and when you unscrew it keeps biting and hopefully extracts the insert.

If I’m seeing it right (broken adapter insert) you should be able to use a spiral or fluted screw extractor to pull it out. Home Depot or Lowe’s should have them. Ryobi spiral screw extractor seem to be the most commonly available. You should be able to press or lightly tap the tool in for it to bite and then extract with the help of an adjustable wrench.
Thanks will look into it much appreciated

I was going to suggest a screw extractor. However, it may be necessary for you to find a machinist who has a small mill. In that case he can try to run a small mill in slowly to clean up what's left and then try to retap the hole. Usually when you do that, the tap will grab what is left and you can unscrew the tap and bring the broken part out, just as a screw extractor would. From the picture it appears you are talking about the tripod mount on the scope itself, rather than on a tripod. That may be a more ticklish matter and might require a trip back to Swarovski. If that is on the scope itself, a broken screw extractor is not going to work because it needs to go in further than the scope body will allow in order to work. A bottoming Tap as opposed to a regular tap might be your only alternative short of the factory. If that's what you want to try, see if you can find a machinist to at least clean up the hole for you. Then measure the size and check a tap chart for the closest you can get to the hole size and use a bottoming tap, but do it slowly and use tap lube on the tap. If you are not sure how to tap a hole, find someone among your circle of friends who is and ask them to help. Failing that, see if you know an auto mechanic who has a machine shop with possibly a milling machine. He could help you with a tap. Turn it in a few threads and as it gets tight back it up a thread or two and then keep going. Eventually, the remains of the screw that snapped off should back out with the tap.
The picture looks bad and don't kid yourself, it could very well be. Don't try using heat on it, although a little warmth might help but not heat. Try finding something that is liquid that you could put in the hole to help seep into the threads to help them separate from the scope body. But don't overdo it.

Good luck.

I was going to suggest a screw extractor. However, it may be necessary for you to find a machinist who has a small mill. In that case he can try to run a small mill in slowly to clean up what's left and then try to retap the hole. Usually when you do that, the tap will grab what is left and you can unscrew the tap and bring the broken part out, just as a screw extractor would. From the picture it appears you are talking about the tripod mount on the scope itself, rather than on a tripod. That may be a more ticklish matter and might require a trip back to Swarovski. If that is on the scope itself, a broken screw extractor is not going to work because it needs to go in further than the scope body will allow in order to work. A bottoming Tap as opposed to a regular tap might be your only alternative short of the factory. If that's what you want to try, see if you can find a machinist to at least clean up the hole for you. Then measure the size and check a tap chart for the closest you can get to the hole size and use a bottoming tap, but do it slowly and use tap lube on the tap. If you are not sure how to tap a hole, find someone among your circle of friends who is and ask them to help. Failing that, see if you know an auto mechanic who has a machine shop with possibly a milling machine. He could help you with a tap. Turn it in a few threads and as it gets tight back it up a thread or two and then keep going. Eventually, the remains of the screw that snapped off should back out with the tap.
The picture looks bad and don't kid yourself, it could very well be. Don't try using heat on it, although a little warmth might help but not heat. Try finding something that is liquid that you could put in the hole to help seep into the threads to help them separate from the scope body. But don't overdo it.

Good luck.
Thanks for that, predictably went wrong!! tried drilling it out but ended up over-enlarging the hole so going back to Swaro!! :rolleyes: !!! Probably should have sent it back in the first place!!

Sorry about that. There is a difference between a Milling machine and an electric hand drill. The electric hand drill is probably the worst invention ever for home use on expensive equipment like a spotting scope. Lets keep our fingers crossed that there wasn't any lasting damage.

Sorry about that. There is a difference between a Milling machine and an electric hand drill. The electric hand drill is probably the worst invention ever for home use on expensive equipment like a spotting scope. Lets keep our fingers crossed that there wasn't any lasting damage.
Sorry, I had already done it before your post!! So all me own fault!!! :)

Let me know how this turns out for you. I think Swarovski has to be able to have a facility and machinery to fix this. The hook will be how much they charge you to do and what they have to do. Good luck with it.

For future use attach a quick realease plate, ideally Arca-Swiss compatible and ideally with a 3/8"x16 screw, dispensing with the adapter.
With an anti-rotation pin it's not only more stable but quicker to mount and eliminates the risk of such damage.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back