Tucson Arizona (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Good morning all,

A few taken from a trip to Tucson Sweetwater Wetlands this week. Trying to make my own IDs but confused by these. I was with another photographer who was coming up with other IDs to mine. If I go with his, I can add to my life-list, but want to keep myself honest

1) I think this is a Song Sparrow. My companion thought Lincoln's. I noted the grey/brown face (similar to the Lincoln's), but darker mottling on the breast.

2) My companion ID'd this as a Marsh Wren, which would match the habitat. My guide shows a more distinct eye stripe, so I have a preliminary ID as a House Wren.

3) This image was taken without my companion. This time my color blindness gets in the way, and I cannot be sure I am interpreting the colors correctly - Orange-crowned Warbler?

Attachments

• Unknown 1 resize.jpg
    Unknown 1 resize.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Unknown 3 resixe.jpg
    Unknown 3 resixe.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 80

uk2usa

Thank you both - my color-blindness is obviously not as much of an issue as my inaccurate sparrow and wren identification.

Looks like I will end up with close to 60 photographed species from this trip - with some more that I can't ID.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Unknown 4 resize.jpg
    Unknown 4 resize.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Unknown 5 resize.jpg
    Unknown 5 resize.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Unknown 6 resize.jpg
    Unknown 6 resize.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Unknown 7 resize.jpg
    Unknown 7 resize.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Unknown 9 resize.jpg
    Unknown 9 resize.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 60

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/his)
United States
Thank you both - my color-blindness is obviously not as much of an issue as my inaccurate sparrow and wren identification.

Looks like I will end up with close to 60 photographed species from this trip - with some more that I can't ID.

Thanks.

The first three are Song Sparrows, and the fourth one is a Verdin.

uk2usa

Thank you all so much - turned out with 54 species photographed.

This is the last of the unknowns - thanks for all the help!!

I think the last is a Say's Phoebe, but again, my color blindness is playing in to the question and I am not sure if I can see mottling down the chest.

Attachments

• Unknown 8 resize.jpg
    Unknown 8 resize.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Unknown 10 resize.jpg
    Unknown 10 resize.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Unknown 11 resize.jpg
    Unknown 11 resize.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Unknown 12 resize.jpg
    Unknown 12 resize.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

RudiJG1

That last one is a female Vermillion Flycatcher.

The first photo shows Chipping Sparrows; the second is a Clay-colored Sparrow. I’m unsure of the third bird....possibly Rufous-winged Sparrow.

Last edited:

RudiJG1

Could 2nd bird in post #9 be Brewer's? Surely more common than Clay-colored?

I’m not confident enough to be sure on this one. I suggested Clay-colored based on the strong “mustache” and the grayish nape, but that nape does look lightly streaked.

Users who are viewing this thread