• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Titmouse? (1 Viewer)

I have battled back and forth whether this is a Tufted Titmouse or not because it looks different than the ones I have been seeing. I hope you can help! Thanks!

Attachments

• Tufted Titmouse On Branch.jpg
    Tufted Titmouse On Branch.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
To provide you with the most useful/reliable help, it's necessary for you to give the location and date, please.

I assume that the photo was taken in Arkansas, the location mentioned in your profile. That location makes your titmouse a Tufted Titmouse no matter what time of year you took the photo.

Wonder if it's a juvenile bird, with that posture suggesting begging. Also, the angle is tough but the bird seems to have a bit of pale at the bill base and perhaps lacks the black forehead of adults.

Wonder if it's a juvenile bird, with that posture suggesting begging.
(And thus we see how it may, indeed, have been useful to know the date in order to best answer the OP's query about why 'it looks different than the ones [s/he has] been seeing'.) I can't speak for tufted titmouse, but, in other tit species, the adult female routinely begs food from her adult mate during laying/incubation.

the angle is tough but the bird seems to have a bit of pale at the bill base and perhaps lacks the black forehead of adults.
I would say it does have a (just-)visible black forehead and is thus adult.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back