• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tufts that look like little ears (1 Viewer)

Hmm, I certainly can't think of any other North American bird that seems like a sparrow that would have things on their head, looking like little ears, other than a Horned Lark.

The fact that you live near open hillside is a point in favor of Horned Larks which like open areas. The fact that it is roughly the size of a Fox Sparrow would also point to a Horned Lark. However, that you don't see the typical Horned Lark head patterning in black and yellow would seem to indicate otherwise.

I suppose it is possible that you've got a very dull plumaged female(s) or a group of immatures exhibiting the horns but not yet in fullcolor plumage???

Is it possible that the darker film you've placed on your windows is somehow filtering the colors/patterns more than you imagine it would?

A picture would definitely be worth a thousand words here...
I have a bird that started coming to my house in Northern Ohio. In a city right near Lake Erie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back