• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufty x Ring-necked?? Japan (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
I went out today to see a (very rare in our area) Swan Goose which has been around for a while (in Hyogo, west of Kobe). That was successful. As were the Lesser White-fronted Goose nearby, and the Taiga Flycatcher (a first for me; much rarer than Red-breasted here in Japan).

Because of the New Year, I was, however, taking photos of anything, to kickstart my 2019 list.

And I thought this (attached photo) was just a Tufted Duck (of which there were quite a few on this pond). I have only the one picture. But when I looked on the larger computer screen, the green head made me think it might be a Tufted cross with Greater Scaup (of which there were none on the pond).

But looking closer, there were two features which stood out as anomalous in addition to the head being a different colour from the body.

Firstly, the nail at the end of the bill looks rather large, with a whiter than usual band at its rear. Ring-necked Duck seems from the photos in my books to have a larger black nail than related species.

Secondly, the white on the side of the body comes to an upward point at the shoulder. The only duck I can find in my books which has this feature is Ring-necked Duck.

Unfortunately, there isn't a visible ring around the top of the bill, although there is a small white cenre.

Anyway, I wonder if this might be a cross between Ring-billed and either Tufted Duck or Scaup. Or can straightforward Tufted look like this - they're very common in my area, and I would always expect the head to look darker than the back; I've never seen one with a green head.

And, of course, I've never seen Ring-billed, but all the photos in books and online show a purpleish head (but then Mallards often look purple not green).

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 139
It seems consistent with pictures that I can find of Ring- necked hybrids. A pure Ring-necked should have more white on its bill and a slightly different shaped white back.

Looks a normal Tufty to me; the rounded head fits this, no suggestion of Ring-necked's peaked crown. The head gloss colour varies with angle of light, so isn't significant.

I agree a normal Tufted Duck. I remember a couple of years ago watching a small group of them, and one of the drakes stood out because of the green sheen to its head. However, in all other respects it was just a typical male.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Tufted Ducks are as common as you like where I live in winter, and I've never seen one with this green sheen; indeed the head sometimes looks darker than the back, not lighter. I don't think it's a pure Tufted Duck, but on the other hand, I don't think it's a pure anything else either.

Mac, its not difficult to find images of 'green-headed' drake Tufted Duck on-line (subject to the comment that they don't appear to be misidentified), although they are less frequent than those that appear purple or black - as said it is a sheen dependent on lighting conditions. However the amount of black on the nail seems more unusual.

Mac, its not difficult to find images of 'green-headed' drake Tufted Duck on-line
Well, as I said, I've seen thousands of these birds every year for the more than ten years I've been birding, and I've photo'd quite a few of them, but this is the first time I've ever seen a green head on a Tufted Duck in real life or on a photo.I think there is something else in there, maybe two or three generations back even, and ditto with any similar birds that others have seen. Real Tufties don't have any 'sheen'.

Have seen drake Tufted ducks in various light that show a green sheen some days and purple the next. Standard for drakes in late winter / early Spring.
Could mention, in fact I will, that I've been birding for over 50 years but as an experienced birder once said to me, " The more you look, the more you see".

Last edited:
Thank you very much everyone who has taken the trouble to look and reply. I'm very grateful. As usual on BF, I have learned something new. I've never noticed this colouration before, but I will look for it in the future.

Thank you again, and happy new year to all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back