• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tundra or trumpeter swan? Utah. Usa (1 Viewer)

Birdwatcher814

Bird watcher
There has been some discussion on the Facebook pages I follow on if this is a tundra or trumpeter swan. It was seen in northern Utah on the bear river migratory bird refuge a couple weeks ago. Most say trumpeter but because of the u shaped forehead pattern I am inclined to say tundra. Any thoughts? Here is the original blog post that has 3 more images. https://bearriverblogger.com/bird-watching-tundra-or-trumpeter-swan/

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_152414_362.jpg
    IMG_20190114_152414_362.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 39

Bird_Bill

Tundra swan
-Shape of the skull, compared to the slope of the upper mandible of the bill. We see a pronounced change in the taper, following the slope to skull crown. Trumpeter would not show the top radius.

-Black of the bill does not fully embrace the eye orbit, rather it's narrower than the eye diameter.

-Grin line...been my experience that tundras are more thin lipped, while the trumpeter has a larger grin showing more red.

Users who are viewing this thread