• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tundra or Trumpeter, Toronto (1 Viewer)

Eildert

Hello,
I photographed this presumable Tundra Swan (yellow spot on bill) in Toronto the other day. However, the bird also seems to have some characteristics of a Trumpeter. What are your opinions? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCF1182.jpg
    DSCF1182.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
Neither are species I have field experience with so good to wait for more views. What are the characters that you were thinking of for trumpeter?

Eildert

Didn't see a clear angle to the black of the bill underneath the eye, and the bill actually seemed less concave than I expected.

Eildert

Also, I should mention that Trumpeter is very common here (after having been reintroduced to the area) and Tundra much scarcer.

birdmeister

United States
Tundra for me, too. Trumpeter should never show a yellow loral spot, so that is the biggest mark here. Often the most consistent field mark is seen when the bird is head-on, in which the border where the bill meets the face is V-shaped in Trumpeter but roundly U-shaped in Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread