• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Turkey Kırklareli region at 235m altitude (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Alexander
Do not focus on plumage only! But maybe that’s just my opinion

Hi Tom

I guess you are directing your comments at Alex rather than me so apologise if I’m butting in - No it’s not just your opinion. I was going to make the same point in response to Alex's post although I’m not sure my humble opinions count for much here - o:D The OP, has structural features (that I mentioned in #5) which is ignored in any proposition that suggests Steppe Buzzard and Common Buzzard can only be separated on range when plumage fails to provide a definitive phenotype allowing ‘easy’ identification. I would consider structure, moult, correct aging and migratory pattern as well as plumage as all being relevant pursuits of inquiry when faced with an ID conundrum such as this. Anyway FWIW Thank you for your comments and input - as always much appreciated :t:

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Tom and Deb,
thank you for your answers. I am allways willing to learn and your expert opinion is very helpfull. As I have allready said, I am interested in identification of some vagrant/scarce subspecies for some time now.
You can for example see birds that show some characters of vulpinus in Germany sometimes. Often/nearly always they cant be assigned to the rarer subspecies with certainty, but a possible explanation is, that birds from the integration-zone are involved.

This might be the case in at least vulpinus Common Buzzard, homeyeri Great Grey Shrike, heinei Common Gull (I still hoping for comments on this thread: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=378244) and soemmerringii Jackdaw. I wrote something about the last topic sometime ago. Its in german, but I hope its usefull in times of googletranslate: https://www.bird-lens.com/2015/11/06/halsbanddohlen-in-ostdeutschland/

So thank you all again! I learned much here!

Users who are viewing this thread