• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turtledove behavior (1 Viewer)

Alefdr

Hi everyone, I state that I am a neophyte, I had a question to ask you about the behavior of the turtledoves that populate the area around my house, from this spring I noticed an anomalous increase in population and an intense singing activity practically at all hours of the day, even this summer one came through my bedroom window and woke me up singing: Eek !: ... I know they can also be stationary but I don't remember a populous presence in the past few years in winter, instead this year they are practically singing every morning even with temperatures close to 0. Do you think it's normal for behavior? Is it the fault of climate change ?

Last edited:
It could be climate change, it could also be better survival for non-migrating birds because they are less likely to be shot where migration routes are heavily impacted by hunting.

Hi Alefdr, may I suggest your birds are misidentified and instead a related species?

It could also be Collared Doves ;););)

My thoughts too; Turtle Doves are extremely rare in the winter in Europe. Singing in near freezing temps, coming into habitations and populous presence in winter are all things which are completely out of character for Turtle Dove but quite fitting for Collared Dove.

Please excuse my terrible mistake, in fact they are collared doves.

However it is the first year that they behave in this strange way.

They entered my house through the windows several times.

The other morning they sang at 6:30 am with 0 °c.

They are singing all day from all winter and all summer singing at all hours of the day.

In your opinion, could they be disturbed by some external source? Ultrasound? Laser? Even the flight paths I see very strange...

Given their strange behavior I tried to document myself and I also read about a study and experiment carried out at a university in China "Shandong University of Science and Technology" In 2007 they implanted some electrodes in the brains of some pigeons being able to control them perfectly remotely through a PC.

In 2019 nanotechnologies are very advanced and the so-called BCI "Brain Computer Interface" are reality.

What if they were testing these technologies illegally without the knowledge of the masses ?

The video of the experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcU9udAQuBo

I can't give myself a plausible explanation :)

leaving the conspiracies aside I would like to understand why they are behaving this way :)

Anyway I'm documenting everything with videos and in case I have something interesting I'll publish it here on the forum. : T:

Oh good, thanks for the reply. Before I watch the video you posted, which seems a bit scary (!) I must stress that Collared Doves here in southern Portugal are in vigorous courtship now and singing quite a bit so the behaviour you are seeing isn't so strange. They often nest from January, even before sometimes I believe. If you have noticed an increase recently it could just be a local response to increased food supply or something else that favours them. I would certainly consider natural phenomenons before worrying about the kinds of things you are suggesting. I will watch your video soon though ;)

Well, although I don't understand a word of Chinese, this looks a bit disturbing I must admit and the accompanying music with the content is pretty worrying...... All the same, I think as you observe your Collared Doves at home and generally around your part of the world, I'm sure you will come to the conclusion that the are not being controlled :-O Keep us posted ;)

I'll keep you up-to-date :)

This morning around 9 am they were singing the call of mating.

What I don't understand is how they can look for mating with 2°c of temperature and they are looking for it every day with these temperatures.

Another example that I filmed 1/12/2019 5°c cloudy/rainy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBXaPZd7fI&feature=youtu.be

It seems that the collared dove that I filmed when it felt observed has stopped ... LooooooooL :)

In the south of Portugal there are on average 16 ° degrees today I think it is normal that the collared doves try to mate.

It's the first year that they do so here near 0°c ... it's a mystery :) :) :)

Last edited:
While temperatures have an effect, I think they will still get on with their courtship etc in all except very nasty weather, strong winds etc. I wonder what Collared Doves are doing further north in Europe now in December - maybe someone could say something about that? I've been in southern Europe far too long to remember exactly!

I wonder what Collared Doves are doing further north in Europe now in December - maybe someone could say something about that? I've been in southern Europe far too long to remember exactly!
Disappearing, slowly but surely. Probably due to the onslaught of ever-increasing numbers of increasingly tame Woodpigeons outcompeting them.

Disappearing, slowly but surely. Probably due to the onslaught of ever-increasing numbers of increasingly tame Woodpigeons outcompeting them.

Interesting; because down here in the Algarve Woodpigeon is a shy and discreet bird breeding mainly in quiet wooded rural areas away from population centres. They don't walk around oblivious to people on lawns in gardens and parks etc. This is maybe down to hunting but I don't believe that's the main reason somehow...?

Interesting; because down here in the Algarve Woodpigeon is a shy and discreet bird breeding mainly in quiet wooded rural areas away from population centres. They don't walk around oblivious to people on lawns in gardens and parks etc. This is maybe down to hunting but I don't believe that's the main reason somehow...?
I suspect it is due to hunting vs no hunting - countryside Woodpigeons here are also very shy. But generations of urban ones have grown up now knowing they won't be shot at, and will happily let you walk past them a couple of metres away (provided you don't have a dog, and don't stop and stare at them).

I suspect it is due to hunting vs no hunting - countryside Woodpigeons here are also very shy. But generations of urban ones have grown up now knowing they won't be shot at, and will happily let you walk past them a couple of metres away (provided you don't have a dog, and don't stop and stare at them).

Yes, their tameness was more than evident in central Manchester back in the late 70's - when I still lived there!

I think there is more to it than hunting, what comes to mind are factors like their adaptation to large areas of modern agriculture producing large populations which spill into urban areas with plenty of lawns and even maybe moist ground for feeding in the breeding season - 2 factors which are largely absent down here. In their natural wooded habitats here there is not so much shooting of them, in fact over wide areas its not that frequent at all, at least nowadays. You are probably correct in highlighting hunting dynamics and safety in urban areas but somehow I feel there is more in play here.

Collared Doves, which can also be hunted, are abundant in urban and countryside areas down here.

If you want to have a look at the video of the previous post you can now view... Now it's public :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBXaPZd7fI&feature=youtu.be

I just got home and getting out of the car guess who I heard?

A dove collar welcomed me with his song :)

3.20 pm

6°c there is the sun now.

Here in my area, at certain times of the year, the dove hunt is open.

I still can't explain why they keep wanting to mate with this cold. But would chicks survive these temperatures? tomorrow and the day after tomorrow snow is expected ...

This seems really absurd to me.

They breed all year round, unless the temperatures are very cold, if they have a good food supply. Same with Woodpigeon and Feral Pigeon - a few years ago my 1 January yeartick Woodpigeon was a newly fledged juvenile :t:

This morning they sang around 10 am

Temp 0 ° c

30 minutes later it began to snow.

The only logical explanation is the presence of food.

I can't explain why the other years didn't find food and they disappeared for the winter, there is probably some good soul that feeds them :)

The least rational but still possible explanation is that perhaps they could be mentally controlled :) :) :)

I hope it's not so ... Hhahahahaha :)

However, I believe what they are experiencing about mind control is horrible and unethical. The world that awaits us in the future looks like the one described in the Matrix book.

I keep you updated! :)

Temperature has risen in the last 2 days we are at 10 ° c. Cloudy / rainy weather... I heard them singing again ... They don't give up :) :) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back