• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Tuskless Elephants (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

40 years seems an awfully short time to be saying anything at all about evolution in elephants.
Its not. Its saying something about selection pressure. If you shoot all the tusked elephants, it turns out you destroy their normal breeding impact on the future elephant population. (Surprise!) And it says selection pressure can act very quickly indeed when it is applied not only by Nature but with all the ruthless selfishness of the human race.

John

lgonz1008

United States
As sad as I'll be that eventually my kids and grandkids won't be able to see a wild elephant with tusks, I'd rather they have a chance to see wild elephants period.

I know this is a stop gap nature has made for this animal and hopefully the genes for tusks will eventually come back in the population, but here's to the hope that these creatures are no longer persecuted for a body part they no longer have.

Users who are viewing this thread