• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TV Ethos or Nagler 9 or 11 work on a 883? (1 Viewer)

pdsrms

Anyone have any one experience with wide/superwide EPs on a Kowa 883?
Specifically Naglers and Ethos.
Can they focus to infinity?
I read from a reputable source that some spotting scopes , due to the prisms, can have edge degradation beyond what is seen in astro refractors.

I think any of the Nagler Type 6s should work in the 883 with the standard Kowa astro adapter (with the two thumb screws). I have the 3,5 mm Type 6 and the others up to 9 mm also have 1.2" long barrels.
However, why would you want to use Naglers for 45x or 55x magnification? The Kowa TE11WZ zoom ocular does vignette a little above 50x but is otherwise excellent and provides a 69° AFOV at these magnifications.

John

...I read from a reputable source that some spotting scopes , due to the prisms, can have edge degradation beyond what is seen in astro refractors.
Not in the case of the Kowa and other alpha brands!
Only the Ethos 110º versions should focus on the Kowa. The >= 6mm versions have the "strange" 1.25/2" adapters - for those focal lengths you should go to the 1,25" clones of the Ethos.

However, why would you want to use Naglers for 45x or 55x magnification? The Kowa TE11WZ zoom ocular does vignette a little above 50x but is otherwise excellent and provides a 69° AFOV at these magnifications.

Nagler 82 degrees!.!

I'm a fan of prime EPs but I must admit the TE11WZ is a formidable piece.
The only place I see the need for prime EPs are 50x and > when you're using a TE11WZ.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back