• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching by numbers - Book only available on Amazon (2 Viewers)

Garry Bagnell

I've just spent the last year writing a book about the last 24 years of twitching birds in Britain and Ireland. This might interest some individuals that visit the rare bird thread. The book details what happens during my twitch, credits finder and categorises each rarity (1-year, 2-year, 3-year, 4-year, 5-year, 10-year, 20-year and lifetime). I've also drawn one rarity for each of the 24 years.

Amazon show a sample of Chapter 1 on their website.

Twitching by numbers: Twenty-four years of chasing rare birds around Britain and Ireland

Attachments

• book cover.JPG
    book cover.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 61
Garry was offered a lot of advice. While you all might take the piss (fair enough) I have got quite a bit of experience of writing and publishing books, one of which was about birdwatching, as I am sure you know. I offered him some advice and in fact had a long conversation with him about the pitfalls of getting a publisher and self publishing (I have done both).

I offered to proof read it for him and suggested that he get people who don't know him to read it, mainly for typos and content. I didn't see a copy to read, no idea if any other "unknowns" did, but I do know that he paid a considerable sum to someone who "edited it". He Tweeted many times asking for advice and just before publication provided an example of the introduction but it had none of the above in it.

I thought the posts on Twitter today were fake but sadly they are not.

It is a great shame, it could have been a good read.

I wonder what the pre-edit version was like?!

I see that Garry's had the good sense to remove the book from sale on Amazon and to apologise to those he's offended.
That takes guts, especially when, as Rob points out, a considerable sum is involved.

Peter

You are all wrong, the reference to ‘massive boobies’ should read ‘massive Boobies’ and what is being described is a visit of a pair of rare Antipodean birds

I do know that he paid a considerable sum to someone who "edited it".
If this is correct then Garry should try to get his money back. The excerpts that I have seen contain obvious errors that should have been picked up and corrected. Let alone all the offensive terms and comments that should have been purged of course.
I am pleased that Garry has temporarily withdrawn the book and has committed to re-writing at least the first four chapters. The right thing to do.

Except the book is still for sale, now at £23.!
I'm not sure if the author has any say now? Its being sold by Chiron Media and the Book Depository. What are they going to do, burn the unsold copies?! Go after the author for breaching a contract?
I'm guessing this is an unusual mess lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back