• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TWITCHING - Can you afford to go, can you afford NOT to go? (1 Viewer)

Arrogance, Ignorance and Greed (AIG). Top twitchers are like Manchester United (they had it printed on their strip!).

Perry,

Each to their own, be it big UK listers, WP listers, patch birders or little old ladies that feed the birds in their garden. I am sick of reading your posts slagging off twitchers/big lister. My father is a 500+ UK lister and not a nicer birder would you meet anywhere.

Cheers

Alan
www.surfbirds.com/blog/.falklandbirder

Yes that was a great bird! :t: and I think the biggest twitch ever in France! about 100 birders when I was there : 85 from UK, 10 Belgian and 5 French ;)

FD

5 French birders on a twitch that would constitute a massive twitch in France! Most of the time here there is no-one. Although, for a White Rumped Sandpiper there was a total of 4 (including me) - it was the first ever for the region.:t:

Like the first poster my twitching days were in another era, but if I were still at it today I wonder whether I would find it prohibitively expensive? I suspect not. Someone mentioned earlier that it's going to depend to an extent on your individual circumstances. Of course it is. Well, I can remember when mortgage rates went up to something like 15% in the late '80s and, believe me, that (plus the fact I had a young family and was the only wage-earner) impacted more heavily on my petrol consumption at the time than the cost of fuel!

Surely most cars are more frugal these days too? I rarely owned a motor that did better than 30mpg, but my wife's Citroen C1 does twice that, and would certainly be a more comfortable, reliable and quicker twitch-mobile than many of the heaps I drove in the '80s.

Let's face it, in twitching the driving force is the 'need', and if that is strong enough you will always be able to afford it.

5 French birders on a twitch that would constitute a massive twitch in France! Most of the time here there is no-one. Although, for a White Rumped Sandpiper there was a total of 4 (including me) - it was the first ever for the region.:t:

Indeed; the highest number I saw on four visits to the Paris Wallcreeper of a couple of years back was four (including me). Which might suggest that, given your experience and mine, there are only three twitchers in France!

David

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back