• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two bugs from Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
We haven't moved in to the house fully yet but a flying visit yesterday saw my toddler, fishing our first, two, modest offerings from the pool.

The first looks similar to Green Mint Beetle and the second looks like it might be a rather splendid Weevil sp?

Attachments

• 1637780437674.jpg
    1637780437674.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 1637780349736.jpg
    1637780349736.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
First does look like a Chrysolina sp but don't think it's C. herbacea. It would probably help if you find any on a potential food plant to narrow it down, though understand you can't with this as you found it in a pool.

First does look like a Chrysolina sp but don't think it's C. herbacea. It would probably help if you find any on a potential food plant to narrow it down, though understand you can't with this as you found it in a pool.
The garden area is fairly sterile tbh, Lemon and Orange trees, a small Olive tree and a rose bush. My toddler is already obsessed with netting stuff from the pool so I have to watch her like a hawk.

The situation for mothing, on first sight it looks perfect, I'll set my light up in front of a high, whitewashed wall, can't wait to get going!

We're really privately located but on top of a hill so can look down in to our neighbours garden and I was very envious of several, Darter like Dragonflies around his pool but none of them came my way so couldn't ID them.

I think they're calling the Weevil genus Coniocleonus now but Shane is spot on with the ID I'd say.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back