• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two days to go (1 Viewer)

claretjohn

Hi everyone,
Costa Rica here I come (at long last).
However, despite all my reading about the photographic challenges I am probably not prepared for the heat, humidity and light conditions to come.
Has anyone any last minute simple practical tips for rainforest bird/animal photography that they think could make or mar my success ?

Thanks
John
Kit includes: Canon 7D2+100-400 Mk2+1.4Extender; Sigma 10-20;

From a photography point of view, when I was in Costa Rica last year I generally used my 300mm lens without a 1.4 converter. In most situations you want more light rather than more reach. Most birds will either be in gloomy rainforest (but quite close) or will be at feeders where they'll be very close.

The climate varies a lot, so if you travel around you'll need to get used to very different conditions in different places. Most comfortable and clear was the Savegre/ San Gerardo de Dota area, at least during the day time. It actually got quite chilly there at night.

Thanks Andrew, and yes I was expecting problems with reduced light and its good to hear that the birds can be quite close. Did you protect your gear from the humidity (ie. bag and silica gel trick) ?
We will be going to San Gerado de Dota after a few days on the Osa Peninsular so again good to hear about the conditions.
Cheers
John

Thanks Andrew, and yes I was expecting problems with reduced light and its good to hear that the birds can be quite close. Did you protect your gear from the humidity (ie. bag and silica gel trick) ?
We will be going to San Gerado de Dota after a few days on the Osa Peninsular so again good to hear about the conditions.
Cheers
John

I didn't protect my gear from the humidity but didn't have problems in that respect. In some areas (e.g. the Pacific coast at Carara and SGDD) it's not really that humid at this time of the year. The Caribbean slope is a bit more humid and wet but it wasn't too severe - I've definitely encountered worse. I didn't go to Osa, so can't comment on that area, but would guess it would be fairly dryish at this time of year.

If you are using a zoom lens that changes in volume then it would best to be very careful with humidity. The volume change will suck moist air containing fungal spores inside the lens. Also be careful about going from cold air con rooms to warm damp environs as that can do the same. I use rice as a desiccant: heat the raw rice in a frying pan until it has given off a lot of steam but not until it burns.Then use it like silica gel.

I carried a non-waterproof setup at the time, so a ziplock bag to stick it in felt like a nice insurance. Not that I can remember actually using the bag. I will second the input about going from AC to outdoors being the likely most problematic point.

Niels

If you are using a zoom lens that changes in volume then it would best to be very careful with humidity. The volume change will suck moist air containing fungal spores inside the lens. Also be careful about going from cold air con rooms to warm damp environs as that can do the same. I use rice as a desiccant: heat the raw rice in a frying pan until it has given off a lot of steam but not until it burns.Then use it like silica gel.

Thanks for your tip, unfortunately I haven't got space in my camera bag for a grain of rice let alone the frying pan. Luckily I saved up several Silica Gel packs and I am taking these.
Not sure how you can prevent fungal spores in a zoom lens apart from keeping it dry all the time to stop them from growing.

Thanks for your tip, unfortunately I haven't got space in my camera bag for a grain of rice let alone the frying pan. Luckily I saved up several Silica Gel packs and I am taking these.
Not sure how you can prevent fungal spores in a zoom lens apart from keeping it dry all the time to stop them from growing.

Regarding the rice, I find that too. So I buy a small bag of rice and get a restaurant to dry it out for me. It is cheap enough to leave behind when you return.
As for the zoom lens, having trashed a Canon 100-400 in this way I now only use fixed focus SLR lenses or zooms that are effectively trashable in the long-term ,like the Canon P900.

up your ISO setting

I suggest to go for a higher ISO setting. Not too much, but definitely higher than the 100 or 200 settings one often uses. Auto ISO would probably keep your ISO too low as well.

Regarding the rice, I find that too. So I buy a small bag of rice and get a restaurant to dry it out for me. It is cheap enough to leave behind when you return.
As for the zoom lens, having trashed a Canon 100-400 in this way I now only use fixed focus SLR lenses or zooms that are effectively trashable in the long-term ,like the Canon P900.

Hi Des,
off to Costa Rica myself in 5 weeks and my wife is a photographer.

Re the rice, isn't it already dried out enough when bought uncooked?

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back