• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Two for ID (1 Viewer)

Reader

I was hoping that was a Levant. I noticed the slightly dark wing tips but I have only ever seen this species twice and they were clearly defined males.

I have attached three more photos of that Tern. Hopefully that will aid your ID. At the time I took the photo's the bird was being chased off by a White-winged Tern.

The other two photos. are they Steppe Eagle (Taken in the Ayn Sokhna region) and Ferruginous Duck (taken at the Aswan Sewage Works).

John

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpg
    IMG_4180.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4181.jpg
    IMG_4181.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3730.jpg
    IMG_3730.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 67

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
Marsh Harrier. Photographed at Marsa Alam. My friend, who lives in Egypt, has never seen one down here so it put a bit of doubt with our ID

I think your friend has been a little unlucky, Marsh Harriers are regular enough in Egypt.

Reader

Hi Jos

We have seen quite a few on our travels but not by the Red Sea close to the Sudan Border. That's the area she hadn't seen them and she has lived in Egypt since 1963 (apart from a ten year spell when she went back to the states).

Anyone having a go at the last set of photos. Do the first three confirm Black Tern or is it a White-winged Tern, and how about the raptor and the ducks. Are my ID's correct.

I might get a chance to go on the internet for the next hour or so but after that there is a good chance I might not get back on until I am back at home on the 7th.

We will soon be leaving for the Fox Camp at St Katherine's then back to Sharm El Sheikh on the 5th & 6th.

John

I think your friend has been a little unlucky, Marsh Harriers are regular enough in Egypt.

BuckeyeAZ

Just this bloke, you know
Could you perhaps post any further groups of photos in separate threads? - and give them meaningful titles? Ta.

Tib78

The tern still looks like WWBT to me. The eagle looks like a Lesser Spotted Eagle rather than Steppe (double carpal comma well visible). And the ducks are A.nyroca indeed, you can even see the white iris of the male.

Parker

Uncomfortably Numb.
The Tern is definintely a White Winged Black you can just see the black underwing coverts showing through on the 3rd pic.

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
We have seen quite a few on our travels but not by the Red Sea close to the Sudan Border. That's the area she hadn't seen them and she has lived in Egypt since 1963 (apart from a ten year spell when she went back to the states).

Sorry, I didn't perhaps read carefully enough - I thought you meant Egypt rather than the southern coast.

Even so, they should be reasonably regular - small numbers migrate through (to much of eastern/southern Africa) and I have seen them on the Red Sea in Eritrea, i.e. further south on the same coast.

Last edited:

Reader

Point taken.

I will create a new thread for my next lot.

Thankfully I have internet access at St Katherine's via my friends Modem stick so I can post a few more that have been seen today that are causing confusion.

John

Could you perhaps post any further groups of photos in separate threads? - and give them meaningful titles? Ta.

Reader

Thanks for the confirmations.

I will now create a thread regarding Pied / Semi-collared Flycatchers.

John

The tern still looks like WWBT to me. The eagle looks like a Lesser Spotted Eagle rather than Steppe (double carpal comma well visible). And the ducks are A.nyroca indeed, you can even see the white iris of the male.

Users who are viewing this thread