• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two for ID (1 Viewer)

I believe the 5th one is Kentish....If you tilt the screen back there is a suggestion of a chestnut crown...which in turn changes the dimensions of the head and correspondingly reduces the length of bill, and I suppose no.4 could also be Kentish.

cheers

I was wondering if 4 was Grey Plover - its hard to get a scale, but its got a whopping bill.

Agree on the WW and whilst not confident with the 2nd warbler, don't have a better answer.

Thanks Jane & Ken.

The Willow Warbler threw me as I have never seen one as dark as that before. The bird was also constantly flicking its wings (as shown in the 2nd photo, and also hovering over small bushes quite a lot

I don't think the 1st wader is either of the suggestions. The jizz was different to the Kentish Plover that you have ID'd also the jizz was quite different to a nearby Grey Plover that was also at the same site.

I have added five Pipit photos (I still have more). They were all taken in the Shams Alam hotel grounds.

Could the first one be Tree Pipit and the other four Red-throated Pipit?

John

Attachments

• IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4598.jpg
    IMG_4598.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4611.jpg
    IMG_4611.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4636.jpg
    IMG_4636.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
The dark cap makes warbler 2 look more like moustached

In my opinion the contrasting dark cap is well within the cosmetic range for Sedge Warbler, and the creamy buff underwash is also better for this species. Moustached should show a deeper more 'orangey' wash on the breast, contrasting against a more demarcated white throat, also...even allowing for the acute fore-shortening of the wings in the image, to my eye the pp would be too long for melanopogon.

cheers

Just been looking at your pics the wader, pic 4 is definitely a Grey Plover. The Pipits all look like Tree Pipits to me.

John Hi,

The pipits in Image 1 and 3...presumably the same bird? look quite unlike anything that I've seen. The ear coverts are amazing!..perhaps with the super and lores isolating this feature, it might support RTP?...I reserve the right to procrastinate on those and perhaps return later. However back to the wader on image 5..by tilting the screen back and viewing from the left, I believe I can see the chestnut crown looking smidgingly darker than the scaps. and feel more confident about my original suggestion.

cheers

I also think it's a Sedge.
Yes 5 is Kentish.

What about Greater Sand Plover for 4?

PS

"I don't think the 1st wader is either of the suggestions. The jizz was different to the Kentish Plover that you have ID'd also the jizz was quite different to a nearby Grey Plover that was also at the same site."(Quote.)

Neil, I suggested GSP because of the above quote. But I guess Grey Plover is a more probable option. Even though GSP are likely in the region, it does look a bit neater in proportions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help on these ID's.I'm having a day in today as I am exhausted after the long 700 km drive we had yesterday, together with the fact that I didn't get much sleep. The bonus was getting up at 5am and seeing a Collared Flycatcher, the first I have seen since Sept 1996.

To sum up so far it looks like Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Kentish Plover and Tree Pipit are the confirmed ID's with a question mark regarding the first wader.I wish I had got a better photo of it but it was too far away. The photo I have attached was heavily cropped to even get this image.

I must admit GSP crossed our minds as well.

Following are three more photos of Pipits. By the look of it they are all going to be Tree Pipits. I have also added two bad photos of a Warbler that we could never get out into the open to photograph properly. Any ideas?

John

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpg
    IMG_4694.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5110.jpg
    IMG_5110.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5113.jpg
    IMG_5113.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5116.jpg
    IMG_5116.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 69
Yes they are Tree Pipits, the plover looked different to other Grey Plovers because its late into its moult. Your last Warbler is going to be a challenge to ID conclusively. MIght be Eastern Olivaceous Warbler...might not.

Hi Reader,

I still think the first wader is a Grey Plover (But I can see where your coming from Phil). I agree with Jane concerning the final Warbler, tricky but could be Eastern Olivaceous & the Pipits are Tree Pipits.

Cheers,

The Wader is a Grey Plover - no doubt. I was being "gentle" before. They look strange in bright light and high temps (all sleeked down)

Attachments

• GRey Plover.jpg
    GRey Plover.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the confirmations. I thought the Warbler might be a step too far.

The Grey Plover really threw me. It looked nothing like the other two Grey Plovers that was at the same site.

Here are 5 more. I probably have one, maybe two more that I am having problems with and will post those later on.

1. Photographed on the Nile near Aswan. Is it a White-winged Tern?
2. I suppose this is another Tree Pipit.
3. The Warble was photographed in the Hotel Grounds 50 km's south of Marsa Alam.
4. Marsh Harrier. Photographed at Marsa Alam. My friend, who lives in Egypt, has never seen one down here so it put a bit of doubt with our ID.
5. Sparrowhawk - just checking.

John

Attachments

• IMG_4178.jpg
    IMG_4178.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82
Its a Black Tern, and a Willow Warbler. Yes a Tree Pipit and Marsh Harrier. Don't know enough about African Accipiters

Edit: That tern... the rump does look whitish and the bill small, but I'm seeing a peg!

Last edited:
I think 'peg' means the dark half collar. I think what looks like a collar is actually the dark mantle and the dark actually ends at the join of the wing rather than extending down on to the side of the chest.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back