• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Two macros and maybe a micro (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
I really feel I ought to be able to get these but just can't find a match to any of them! I suspect 8507 could be a variation of Mottled Rustic, but not at all sure; for 8506 I hovered around pyrausta purpuralis which I believe goes brown, however the hindwing appeared unmarked (not visible in photo) and the other one I'm completely clueless about.

Attachments

• IMG_8504crop.jpg
    IMG_8504crop.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8506crop.jpg
    IMG_8506crop.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8507crop.jpg
    IMG_8507crop.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 22

davidg

No 1 is probably Knot Grass but I'm not 100%
No 2 is probably Small Rivulet but I'd like to know what size it was
No 3 is Least Yellow Underwing

David

NB just saw your reference to Pyrausta, so I'm happy it must be Small Rivulet

condliffen

No reason to doubt David's IDs - all look good to me. I understand the reservation on the Knot Grass, but I reckon it has to be that.
Neale

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Thanks David, Small Rivulet certainly spot-on size-wize, and the Least YU obvious now I know! I'm not too sure about Knot Grass for the first one though, I've seen a few and they all have an obvious "eye" circle about 1/3 down the wing; having said that, I'm struggling for an alternative.

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
Thanks David, Small Rivulet certainly spot-on size-wize, and the Least YU obvious now I know! I'm not too sure about Knot Grass for the first one though, I've seen a few and they all have an obvious "eye" circle about 1/3 down the wing; having said that, I'm struggling for an alternative.

Mark, I had two Least Yellow Underwings yesterday, a what a lovely looking thing it is.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread