• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (4 Viewers)

It's good to hear from you again Hans. Hope your computer troubles are over now.

I'm so glad you're now getting some rain - what a relief that must be after such a long time.

Mmmm.... it was good to get some pretty close views of the eagles - impressive birds those.

I didn't need to worry, they hadn't deserted me, but came flying back in another dust cloud!!!;)

Actually it was all a set up so that I could get some pictures like that.:-O

We then went for lunch at the Prairie Hotel in Parachilna. Excellent food it was too. They have an art gallery in there which kept us all interested for some time. Not all the pictures were to my taste of course, but I could appreciate the work: http://www.prairiehotel.com.au/art-gallery

The horse was huge and had been displayed on the old station platform.

After lunch we set off back down the road then took another dirt track through the Brachina and Bunyeroo Gorges.

Very quickly a Black Kite was seen in the air. Travelling through the Brachina Gorge we encountered a few Emus (sort of together) . Here's one with a giant tree making him look small.

In the Bunyeroo Gorge, Adrienne named these growths for me as Paddy Melons. Research tells me that these are poisonous but the juice can be used to treat ringworm.

A very interesting and scenic drive this one.

Attachments

• BF Appearing from the dust thread.jpg
    BF Appearing from the dust thread.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Parachilna horse thread.jpg
    BF Parachilna horse thread.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
  • BF Black Kite flight.jpg
    BF Black Kite flight.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Emu 1 thread.jpg
    BF Emu 1 thread.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 15
  • BF Paddymelon thread.jpg
    BF Paddymelon thread.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 17
We came out from the gorges near to Wilpena then took another road on the other side to the Sacred Canyon, rather an attractive run too.

An important place for the Aborigines, as there's some engravings in the rocks here. The first picture explains more.

Walking the path we passed an ancient Red Gum, which was a really impressive size. After that the path got narrower and a bit scrambly in places.

I don't think we went right to the end but did see some of the engravings.

On the way back my foot got stuck in one of the scrambly bits and I fell quite heavily grazing my arm. Bit shook up for a minute but the worst bit was trying to get back on my feet. I managed to protect the camera though:cool:

And there's Adrienne feeling the heat.... or is she showing her relief that I was OK;)

Then it was back to Rawnsley and another lovely dinner before preparing to leave the next morning.

Other pecies seen/heard that day: Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Nankeen Kestrel, Peaceful Dove, Tree Martin

Attachments

• BF Sacred Canyon information board.jpg
    BF Sacred Canyon information board.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Ancient Red River Gum thread.jpg
    BF Ancient Red River Gum thread.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Canyon Walk thread.jpg
    BF Canyon Walk thread.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Hot in Sacred Canyon thread.jpg
    BF Hot in Sacred Canyon thread.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 29
Ouch!!! Sorry you're still having problems Hans. Hope they get you up and running sooner than you fear!

To Glue Pot

1 November 2019

Early breakfast as we had a long drive back east. So I was up just before dawn and after collecting everything together, had time to take this beautiful sunrise.

On the road between Hawker and Peterborough we found some Emus in a stubble field.

On the outskirts of the town were a flock of Little Corellas foraging on the grass verge.

We spent a while in the town as it's quite historical and very interesting. With a Bofors 40-60 Anti-aircraft Gun and also some steam trains.

Attachments

• BF Rawnsley Sunrise thread.jpg
    BF Rawnsley Sunrise thread.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Emu thread.jpg
    BF Emu thread.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BF Bofors Gun thread.jpg
    BF Bofors Gun thread.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 15
  • BFTrain at Peterborough.jpg
    BFTrain at Peterborough.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 15
Just got up to date with your thread after the best part of two weeks in the Canary Islands Delia! Still the wonderful birds keep coming!

Chris

Thanks Chris..... and Larry (brace yourself lad... that's going to kick off shortly LOL)+

More miles eaten up and we called in to the town of Morgan, for my first sight of the Murray River; I remember learning about it at school all those years ago, so had wanted to see it.

Some welcome refreshments here... well it was lunch time then traveled the last few miles to the turn off for Gluepot... little did I realise there was another 20 odd miles from there into the reserve through another station!!!

We'd not long turned onto the dirt road when a young Goanna was spotted at the side of the road.

We went to the first hide and oh my goodness.... it was absolutely bristling with birds, mostly honeyeaters.

First an old friend A Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater - actually loads of them. Then a beautiful newbie Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, then another, a White-eared Honeyeater.

Attachments

• BF Murray River thread.jpg
    BF Murray River thread.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 34
  • BF Goanna thread.jpg
    BF Goanna thread.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 26
  • BF Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 42
  • BF Yellow-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Yellow-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 36
  • BF White-eated Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF White-eated Honeyeater thread.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 27
LOL indeed he is Chosun. Actually I think he looks more attractive in this shot than many other pictures I've taken of them.

Love all your Honeyeaters Delia, especially the Spiny-cheeked.............love your descriptions of the outback and such a beautiful sunrise, worth getting up for LOL.....thanks for sharing!

Thanks Nora... we have snow here this morning! Ciara's sure done some damage.

Thanks Nora. That really was a beautiful sunrise that morning. And we had a really interesting drive too.

That honeyeaters were delicious!!!;)

I rather fell in love with the Brown-headed Honeyeaters when I was at Normanville the week before... such wee sweethearts!

A Galah was supervising the visitors to the water trough and a Grey Currawong looked cross about something. This last wasn't a Lifer, as I'd seen one at Normanville too, but hadn't managed to get a picture.

Red Wattlebirds were there, as was a Striped Honeyeater, which made up for my poor picture at Bollon a few weeks prior.

Attachments

• BF Brown-headed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Brown-headed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 27
  • BF Galah thread.jpg
    BF Galah thread.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Grey Currawong thread.jpg
    BF Grey Currawong thread.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 22
  • BF Striped Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Striped Honeyeater thread.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29
Great photos of the Honeyeaters today! Really liked the Striped and the Spiny-cheeked.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back