• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (2 Viewers)

Many thanks all of you, not only reading my thread but for the help and advice you've given along the way.

Being a bit lazy I used a spreadsheet to organise them all sooo....

Total Life sightings was 224

Break down:

Brisbane: 87 (12 days, virtually every bird was new to me)
Queensland: 84 (3 weeks)
South Australia: 26 (12 days)
Western Australia: 27 (12 days)

Thanks Delia! :t:

Chris

Fantastic effort to write up your trip Delia, well done lass:t: With most of us in various stages of lockdown I ‘m sure we’d appreciate any similar accounts of birding holidays if any Birdforum members fancy doing them!

Absolutely!

I'm waiting on a day-by-day list of places we visited to do a Gambia report - lots of photos - coming soon to BF I hope!

John

Yes please!!!!

An awesome trip report with great images and with such in-depth details of your days in the field! Thank you Delia for sharing what must have been an amazing trip down under!:t:

Loved it!:clap:

If I email a pile of fieldnotes and several hundred photos, will you write up my trip reports too o:D

Seriously, stirling job of tales down under and beautifully illustrated.

(Thanks to the BFers who showed Delia so many great habitats!)

Fantastic reporting Delia. Sorry to see it in end. 224 lifers I can only dream of so many in two months.

Good show, Delia!

I was in Perth for 4-1/2 weeks with a 2 week road trip of southern WA, a couple nights in Sydney, and 10 days in Tassie, and only managed 157 lifers. (in my defense, birding wasn't my sole occupation, and I never had a guide (by choice)...)

Thanks so much for your comments folks.

LOL Deb... I think my brain needs a rest now!;)

Hi Dan... does that mean you're back home now? It sounds like you had an amazing time yourself. I know, if I'd been on my own I wouldn't have seen half as much. Well less actually, as I probably wouldn't have gone! I'd not have been brave enough. (In the last 50 years I'd only been abroad 3 times would you believe.)

Delia, It's good that you got to see all the other wildlife too :t:
I'm glad that you got to see the big 6 odd foot Goannas - but even more glad that you didn't come across the snakes that eat them !! :eek!:
:cat:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks so much for your comments Chosun and Mike.

I've had to amend my totals, forgot to include Southern Whiteface in the totals.

Sooo 85 now for Queensland with a total 225.

Thanks for this epic trip report, Delia! It was fun reading your other adventures and reliving ours. See you in Scotland some time!

So nice to do the trip with you a second time and you mentioned staying with us for two weeks.It was three weeks in fact and not one boring day we think!Now,with the world in lock down and personal isolation,we are once more enjoying our regulars.The dam is pretty full and the back paddock is green and covered with very tall grass.Our lawnmower-pony is back and doing his best to get the grass down.Had a beautiful but feral Siamese Cat almost living on the place for a couple of months and trying to catch birds.We finally got rid of it,after it had killed a couple of Lorikeets and a Sugar Glider.Otherwise almost back to normal,although Judy had been bedridden for a few days and still doesn't like to eat.Hope you are well and won't catch that virus.

Love,

Hans&Judy

Thanks Hans and Judy. If I said 2 weeks (?) it was a slip of the finger LOL

It's wonderful to know that your looong drought has broken and your dam is now filled. Here's a picture showing what it was like the day of rain before we went to the Gold Coast. Grass remained very brown though.

Good news you've managed to deal with that pesky cat too.

I'm so sorry to hear that Judy is not well - give her my love please.

Take care both of you.

Attachments

• BF Taromeo Dam.jpg
    BF Taromeo Dam.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 10
Very belated 'thank you' Delia, I have to say you certainly crowded heaps in with Ken & Judy, Hands & Judy, Peter & Adrienne, Alex & June, I only wish that my circumstances had been different and would have been able to have you come here to Melbourne.
Thank you again for the wonderful photos/narratives and something that we can all read over in 'lockdown' as most of us are in.
Please stay safe, sane and sanitized at home :) XO

Thank you so much Nora.

We did seem to pack a lot in, but it was manageable for my old bones!

It was such a shame that we ended on opposite sides for the globe for that period, wasn't it.

Thinking if I'm locked-down for a lot longer, I may have to re-read this thread too so I can recall better times. And maybe some of the old Scottish Bash threads could do with re-visiting!

Just read the first 19 episodes of your trip in one go!

Fabulous account of your trip down under! I think you enjoyed it!

Well done!

Now to the rest....

Oh! Thanks so much Mike. I hope you enjoy the rest.

And the section where you appear too.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back