• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Thrush, Shanghai, October (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Sorry about the blurry pictures and limited angles. Trying to make IDs on the last couple of birds from my first trip to Cape Nanhui. I'm reasonable certain the first bird is Gray-backed Thrush but the second I'm not really sure. Best guess I have is Siberian Thrush, an immature male?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• gray-backed.jpg
    gray-backed.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 55
  • gray-backed2.jpg
    gray-backed2.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 61
  • unknown thrush.jpg
    unknown thrush.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 61
  • unknown thrush2.jpg
    unknown thrush2.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 60
  • unknown thrush3.jpg
    unknown thrush3.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 55
It could be a female, but it looks black, rather than brown on my monitor. I think the markings on the flanks are quite weak (from what can be seen) which would also suggest a male rather than female, however the supercilium extending down onto the ear coverts is better for a female. Tricky angle, and more photos could help - at least I'm certain of the species!

Nice call for the 2nd one, I was going Eyebrowed but I think you must be right.
cf this female with a very similar headpattern.
Are you sure it is a blackish male?

cheers,
G erben
I did think it looked a little darker and as Daniel mentioned, thought the flank markings were rather weak. The pictures are pretty poor quality though, wish I had something more clear to work from. I really appreciate your input! I've found this forum a great resource as I'm learning and always appreciate friendly folks that are willing to contribute to the conversation. Thanks!

Brian

It could be a female, but it looks black, rather than brown on my monitor. I think the markings on the flanks are quite weak (from what can be seen) which would also suggest a male rather than female, however the supercilium extending down onto the ear coverts is better for a female. Tricky angle, and more photos could help - at least I'm certain of the species!
Thanks Daniel! I appreciate you taking the time to help me along. I'm still learning and your detailed observations are very helpful. I enjoy looking up some of the jargon and figuring out exactly what you are referring too. I learn a lot in the process.

Many thanks,

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back