• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Warblers, Armenia (1 Viewer)

punkskaphil

Here are two warblers that the group I was with were unsure of, both in the Yeghegnadzor area of Armenia last week. The first four images are of the same individual, the last two of a different individual at another location nearby. The question was whether they could be Eastern Olivaceous or Upcher's Warblers (or anything else). Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• DSC05123-standard.jpg
    DSC05123-standard.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC05125-standard.jpg
    DSC05125-standard.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC05129-standard.jpg
    DSC05129-standard.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC05156-standard.jpg
    DSC05156-standard.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC05250-standard.jpg
    DSC05250-standard.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC05255-standard.jpg
    DSC05255-standard.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 97
Images #5 and #6 look to be grey upperparts rather than brown on my monitor; also a suggestion of a paler wing panel which rules out EOW in my books. Doesn't seem "beefy" enough from my recollection of OTW which also never sang from atop a shrub but deep within the tree's structure.

Images #5 and #6 look to be grey upperparts rather than brown on my monitor; also a suggestion of a paler wing panel which rules out EOW in my books. Doesn't seem "beefy" enough from my recollection of OTW which also never sang from atop a shrub but deep within the tree's structure.
The light often plays tricks, according to Collins, EOW can show white tips to the secondaries, whether that extends to the edges I can’t say, however with that pp projection there’s no other Iduna (which this is) with a barely 3/4 pp of overlying tertials that I’m aware of?

Should have added that the last two shots are superb.👍

Cheers

Last edited:
Within the ambient lighting the cosmetics look better for Upcher’s than EOW, however I’m having a problem reconciling the pp to tertial length, the subject bird has pp just half the length of the overlying tertials, somewhat short of the UW’s 3/4?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back