• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Type of Sparrow?? Nisqually Wildlife Refuge in WA (1 Viewer)

I saw this bird sitting on a reed and thought it was a sparrow but couldn't tell which type, but after looking at the photo I got (sorry its not very good, it was silhouetted and it turned its back to me by the time I got around to taking a photo), but after looking at the photo its bill seems to be longer and more slender than a sparrow.

From the front it had a white patch on its chin and I thought I could see yellow/gold reflections around its face. I also noticed the white wing bars and you can see them a little in this photo.

Golden crowned, White throated, or Savannah sparrow possibly?

Let me know what you think.

Garrett

Attachments

• #8.jpg
    #8.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 33
Yep, looks like you guys got it. I guess this was my first time seeing a female red-winged blackbird then as I didn't know they were different. Makes sense as it was sitting up on the reed like that and I saw multiple other red-winged blackbirds up on reeds that morning. In fact, right after this one flew away a male red-winged blackbird landed on another reed nearby. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread