• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tyrant flycatchers, Panama (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
Here's another set of birds I couldn't id in Panama. All three were seen on the same day (4.01.2020) and in the same area, on the slopes of Baru volcano. Tyrant flycatchers are sooo difficult for me, after a few days we became experienced in separating e.g. Great Kiskadee from Social Flycatcher, but those drabber ones still posed too much a challenge.

1) Location: Finca Lerida coffee plantation, around 1700 m a.s.l.
All photos of the same individual. This seems the hardest one for me, not sure if it's possible to positively identify. I think a Contopus sp.? (Gave a sort of "pee-wee" call)

2) Location: forest above coffee platation, ca. 1800 m a.s.l.
Awful picture, I know (it was very far away), but some features can be seen. It made short flights to catch insects, then returned to the same branch. A Tufted Flycatcher (Mitrephanes phaeocercus) maybe?

3) Location: Finca Lerida coffee plantation, around 1650 m a.s.l.
All photos of the same individual. Again I'm lost, I thought Yellow-bellied/Lesser Elaenia (E.flavogaster/chiriquensis)?

Any help is highly appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• contopus.jpg
    contopus.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 38
  • tyrant3.JPG
    tyrant3.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 35
  • elenia.jpg
    elenia.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 27

michalb

Poland
The last one reminds me of yellow-bellied elaenia

Niels

Thanks, guess that's what I'll assume. Is it because of the obvious crest?

And the others? Going through the Panama field guide, I'm more and more inclined to label the rufous one as tufted flycatcher, can't fit it to anything else.

THE_FERN

Thanks, guess that's what I'll assume. Is it because of the obvious crest?

And the others? Going through the Panama field guide, I'm more and more inclined to label the rufous one as tufted flycatcher, can't fit it to anything else.

Agree 2 is tufted fly. 1 is unidentifiable imho on this image. 3 probably as Niels suggests

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
1- Dark Pewee - the crest is too strong to be an Empidonax, the bill is fully orange beneath, what we can see of plumage matches, and it's the most common Pewee/Empidonax type bird in that area by a large margin.
2- Tufted Flycatcher
3- YB Elaenia

michalb

Poland
Thanks a lot to all of you, great to get those solved!

1- Dark Pewee - the crest is too strong to be an Empidonax, the bill is fully orange beneath, what we can see of plumage matches, and it's the most common Pewee/Empidonax type bird in that area by a large margin.

That can be true! I remember having an impression of a dark bird in the field, although after seeing the pictures I thought it could be attributed to light conditions. Anyway the crest is very obvious, so probably I can safely put it down as C. lugubris.

Thanks again everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread