• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U.S. Postal stationery (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

I purchased a box of 500 postal stationery #10 envelopes, on which is printed a purple martin:

See:

U.S. Post Office

I know that snail mail is on the way out, but I still get to use them. In any case, you don't have to order 500, if you want a handsome bird on your correspondence.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Marmot,

The U.S. Postal Service favours art over photography and does not have to have a portrait of the head of state on its stamps and stationery. I think the purple martin looks nicer than those Royal Mail stamps, just as I prefer the Peterson guide [art] over the Audubon Society guide [photographs]

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

The Irish Postal Service ("An Post") regularly produces birds, flowers and wildlife series. They had a nice BoP set about two years ago. Here´s all their sets on birds since 1999:
http://www.birdtheme.org/country/ireland.html

Sancho,

Very nice artwork on those stamps. It is also very clever to produce that duck sheet. Who would want to use the stamps and be left with grass and reeds?

Here in New York City, several post office used to have "philatelic windows," but they seem to have vanished. It was an open secret that the lines at the philatelic counters were short and the place to go for stamps, alone. I think that the U.S. Postal service expects stamp collectors to order online.

Happy bird watching,

I know that snail mail is on the way out, but I still get to use them...

Not necessarily ;) There's still a few dinosaurs like myself and a LOT of keen writers in the USA who still prefer 'old-fashioned' letters over emails :t:
I recently took part in Month Of Letters and this year there were 1800 people taking part which is AMAZING!!!!!! :eek!: Roll on LetterMo 2014 o:)

http://lettermo.com/

Wish our UK postal service would produce stuff like this though - it's so hard to find nice natural history themed paper to write on :smoke: The envelopes aren't so much a problem as I decorate my own :t:

Gorgeous stamps too :t:

Purple Martin

I picked up several of the "forever" stamped envelopes at the U.S. Post Office, Took a close up shot of the art work today.

phil

Attachments

• BrdStmpFrvr.jpg
    BrdStmpFrvr.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 63
I didn't realise that wildlife art was such a big part of stamps in the US, although I do remember one of the characters in the film Fargo painted wildfowl in the hope of them being on stamps.

I recently took part in Month Of Letters and this year there were 1800 people taking part which is AMAZING!!!!!! :eek!: Roll on LetterMo 2014 o:)

http://lettermo.com/

Can't say I'm a letter writer, but I can really understand the romanticism of this and taking life a little slower. You'd probably appreciate a response more when you need to wait longer to receive it too! I'll pass you link on to someone in work - she enjoys arts and crafts and she might really appreciate this.

I didn't realise that wildlife art was such a big part of stamps in the US, although I do remember one of the characters in the film Fargo painted wildfowl in the hope of them being on stamps.

His paintings weren't destined for postage stamps but for "duck stamps", which wildfowlers are required to buy to legally hunt their prey. New ones are issued annually by both the federal and state governments and there is great competition among artists to get paintings accepted for these stamps.

Last edited:
Hello,

In the good old days, before the internet, there was a special breed of stamp collectors, who wanted stamps by topic. Wildlife was an important subject for topical collectors.

The U.S. Post Office has done a terrible thing: the vending machines at the post office only produce monochrome stamps with that horrid new style coding. If one wants a multicolored commemorative stamp, he has to wait for personal "service."

Happy bird watching,

His paintings weren't destined for postage stamps but for "duck stamps", which wildfowlers are required to buy to legally hunt their prey. New ones are issued annually by both the federal and state governments and there is great completion among artists to get their paintings accepted for these stamps.

I didn't know that, thanks for the explanation. According to trivia on imdb, the stamps in Fargo were real, painted by friends of the Coen brothers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116282/trivia - I think it's these guys: http://www.hautman.com/index.html

Hello,

I had Eastern bluebirds on my mind for some reason. The current postal stationery depicts barn swallows.
Barn swallows.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back