• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

UK Biodiversity is now down to 53%..one of the lowest in the World. (1 Viewer)

Steviewonder

The world average is 75 %...and that is below the 90% needed to avoid an ecological recession.

This study comes from the Natural History museum.

They blame the former Industrial revolution..conveniently ignoring the current Elephant in the room,which is our ever-growing Human population,leading to our intensive farming methods using pesticides and destroying hedgerows,which are certainly destroying our insect and Birdlife.

mjh73

Australia
Population is an easy go to as it transfers the need to act onto younger and future generations.
However consumption is at least compounding, if not driving the problem.
If we could wind back our rapacious consumption of more than we need we could make a big change now, whereas population needs generations to change.
Growth is already slowing significantly in many western countries, and negative in a decent handful.

I'm not convinced population growth = intensive and harmful farming methods. I think farming economics is much more complex. The difficulty in achieving a cost that enables profitability in the face of supermarket bargaining power is more likely to be driving consolidation to drive efficiency and environmental issues taking a poor second place to squeezing the maximum yield out of ever Hectare.

Maffong

The world average is 75 %...and that is below the 90% needed to avoid an ecological recession.

This study comes from the Natural History museum.

They blame the former Industrial revolution..conveniently ignoring the current Elephant in the room,which is our ever-growing Human population,leading to our intensive farming methods using pesticides and destroying hedgerows,which are certainly destroying our insect and Birdlife.
I'd argue that the elephant in the room is being addressed very adequately. The industrial revolution was the main reason for steep population growth worldwide. It furthermore increased per capita income, which I'd argue was at least as important as population growth (and nowaday is probably even more important) as it led to far higher consumption rates of natural resources than before and has led an extremely unsustainable overconsumption.
By the way, in many (most?) so-called first world countries the population size has been stagnating for several decades now, yet use of natural resources is still increasing.

Farnboro John

Population is an easy go to as it transfers the need to act onto younger and future generations.
However consumption is at least compounding, if not driving the problem.
If we could wind back our rapacious consumption of more than we need we could make a big change now, whereas population needs generations to change.
Growth is already slowing significantly in many western countries, and negative in a decent handful.

I'm not convinced population growth = intensive and harmful farming methods. I think farming economics is much more complex. The difficulty in achieving a cost that enables profitability in the face of supermarket bargaining power is more likely to be driving consolidation to drive efficiency and environmental issues taking a poor second place to squeezing the maximum yield out of ever Hectare.
You can't sell what people don't want, so unless there are actual shortages or changing climate (another population-caused thing) enables growing different crops to access a different market sector, the only reason for growing more is more people wanting to eat the same amount.... unless of course you want to argue that obesity is driving farming growth, which frankly I don't believe.

And you are underselling population change: all you need is the entire coming generation to pop out no more than one child and the future breeding population will at least halve. It's the quick answer, and the best way to achieve it is to "baby shame" grandparents who boast of large families and to incite youngsters to selfishly party their lives away without giving themselves the millstone of raising kids. Take it from me, youngsters, you will have a lot more fun and get bigger lists. ;)

John

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
As well as population growth, over consumption, and landscape use destruction of environment - you need to add the all important financial system itself ...... people destroying the world for 'profit'.

Chosun 🙅‍♀️

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread