• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk bird I.d please (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Hi
I Photo’d these two birds on the South West coast path on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall yesterday.
My first thoughts are that they look like female Cirl Buntings, could I be right many thanks

Attachments

• 26841033-AF86-41FA-B04A-9570A8A48569.jpeg
    26841033-AF86-41FA-B04A-9570A8A48569.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 170
  • 9E48FDB3-06F0-4FAA-B2B8-5DFF2297142C.jpeg
    9E48FDB3-06F0-4FAA-B2B8-5DFF2297142C.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 189

Thanks Richard,

whilst they are a lovely bird and I do enjoy seeing them, I always find it a bit questionable, when such effort is spent on a species which is fairly common on the mainland. There are similarities to the Osprey project, one of the Worlds, most widespread birds of prey

Cirl Bunting is a farily demanding bird in terms of habitat preference, they don't survive on land that is intensively farmed and we are a small Island, I can't help thinking that the time and money, could be better spent, not sure on what though so don't put me on the spot?

A

Last edited:
The way I see it is, we humans destroyed the habitat that was able to support them so it behooves us to try and rectify it if we can. If someone is willing to but the time and finances into it and provide the space, that can only be positive for me personally.

Just out of interest, do you know what was the source population for the Cornish re-introduction project?

The Devon population

whilst they are a lovely bird and I do enjoy seeing them, I always find it a bit questionable, when such effort is spent on a species which is fairly common on the mainland. There are similarities to the Osprey project, one of the Worlds, most widespread birds of prey

Cirl Bunting is a farily demanding bird in terms of habitat preference, they don't survive on land that is intensively farmed and we are a small Island, I can't help thinking that the time and money, could be better spent, not sure on what though so don't put me on the spot?

A

By providing farmland that is less intensively treated, the project also helps a lot of other species as well as Cirls, so it is worth doing :t:

I never got the Osprey projects with them naturally recolonising. It always felt like more of a publicity stunt for Rutland Water than anything that was necessary but I am sure there were sound reasons given the investment

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back