• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

UK Bird ID please (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All - a little phone shot my son sent me this morning that I can't seem to identify. Thought Male House sparrow at first because of the black bib, but the head looks too black. Can someone enlighten me please?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 08.39.54.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 08.39.54.png
    739.1 KB · Views: 126

THE_FERN

Hi All - a little phone shot my son sent me this morning that I can't seem to identify. Thought Male House sparrow at first because of the black bib, but the head looks too black. Can someone enlighten me please?

Many thanks.
Overwhelming likelihood is male house sparrow: looks like one to me given photo resolution. If we were picking at straws we'd say "better photo needed to be sure".

Alexander Stöhr

I know, this is the same answer, that The Fern has already given, but I cant resist:

even after a second look, its either a Tree or a House Sparrow (ignoring size of the bird, which seems to be smaller than a Blackbird at least):
Following points makes this an House Sparrow imo:
-sleek build (enhanced by posture in this single picture) with long tail
-dirty, but pure grey underparts (in Tree Sparrow normally browhnish or buffish tones or more rare whitish tones
-better head pattern for this than for a Tree Sparrow. I think the dark ear-covert spot would either be visible or would produce a different pattern in a picture of this quality (no offense).

I know, I have been fooled by a similar picture just a few days before, but: even after a second look, this picture doesnt seem one for quiz-modus imo, just a low-resolution + bad artefacts picture. Reason? Dont know, but I still get the feeling that this bird can be identified with the necessary confidence as a House Sparrow, when location is taken into account.
Just a slight caveat: is the "head" of this bird real or a hole in the wall behind the grey-headed, dark-eyed bird? No, its a House Sparrow imo, agree with The Fern.

Users who are viewing this thread