• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK buzzard populations 2-3 centuries ago? (1 Viewer)

I'm trying to find out the estimated common buzzard Buteo buteo populations in the UK in the 1700s and 1800s, for some coursework I'm doing. So far I've found more than enough of 'the buzzard was widespread until around 1775' and 'in recent years its numbers have increased', but no actual numbers. Does anyone know if there is any data anywhere?

Simon Holloway's 'The historical atlas of breeding birds in Britain and Ireland 1875-1900' is helpful on this. It covers the 19th century in reasonable detail, although there's not really anything further back than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back