• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Dragonflies & Damselflies 2021 (1 Viewer)

Highland odonata hotspots from last week's trip:-

At Loch Garten we found Northern Damselflies were easily located in dull weather perching on the tops of sedges, at the traditional roadside pool with a boardwalk (on the right hand side of the road as you approach Loch Garten from Boat of Garten).

Also at Loch Garten we found at least 2 Northern Emeralds, but only after the sun came out, at the following spot:- From the osprey centre head eastish along the road towards the traditional White-faced Darter pool at the turn off to Tulloch moor. After a few hundred metres (about half way to the WFD pool) there is an obvious pull-off on the right where the road kinks sharply to the left. The pull-off has branches laid at the back of it to avoid further vehicle access. From the pull-off follow the only walking trail into the forest on the right. After c10 mins walk go through gate in fence, and continue through more open boggier forest for c5mins until you get to a low lying area with planks laid on the trail, leading up to another fence line. We saw Northern Emeralds (and WFD) on both sides of the trail here.

At Loch Maree there was a very productive spot for Azure Hawkers and Northern Emeralds about 10mins walk from Beinn Eighe visitor's centre. Follow the trail at the back of the visitor's centre that heads southeastish in the direction of Kinlochewe, roughly parallel to the road. Pass a pool on the left, go over a small bridge, and continue straight on past the "yellow" trail on the right. After a short distance you get to a picnic bench by an open bog. The more open patches leading up to the bench were rockin' with dragonflies, including great views of a few individuals of the 2 specialities.

Good luck 😊

At Loch Garten we found Northern Damselflies were easily located in dull weather perching on the tops of sedges, at the traditional roadside pool with a boardwalk (on the right hand side of the road as you approach Loch Garten from Boat of Garten).

Also at Loch Garten we found at least 2 Northern Emeralds, but only after the sun came out, at the following spot:- From the osprey centre head eastish along the road towards the traditional White-faced Darter pool at the turn off to Tulloch moor. After a few hundred metres (about half way to the WFD pool) there is an obvious pull-off on the right where the road kinks sharply to the left. The pull-off has branches laid at the back of it to avoid further vehicle access. From the pull-off follow the only walking trail into the forest on the right. After c10 mins walk go through gate in fence, and continue through more open boggier forest for c5mins until you get to a low lying area with planks laid on the trail, leading up to another fence line. We saw Northern Emeralds (and WFD) on both sides of the trail here.

At Loch Maree there was a very productive spot for Azure Hawkers and Northern Emeralds about 10mins walk from Beinn Eighe visitor's centre. Follow the trail at the back of the visitor's centre that heads southeastish in the direction of Kinlochewe, roughly parallel to the road. Pass a pool on the left, go over a small bridge, and continue straight on past the "yellow" trail on the right. After a short distance you get to a picnic bench by an open bog. The more open patches leading up to the bench were rockin' with dragonflies, including great views of a few individuals of the 2 specialities.

Good luck 😊
considering driving all the way back now

interesting to see the report of 'plenty' of Common Emeralds though, as they are very scarce locally whereas Scarce Emeralds are locally very common.
Sorry, I was a bit loose with my wording there, because I was thinking about Southern emeralds. There were plenty of emeralds which weren't Southern, which were a mix of Common and Scarce, but the ones I got a clear look at were mainly Scarce with only a couple of Common. There were a fair number that I didn't bother to look at closely once I'd ruled out Southern, and some that were immature which I wouldn't want to take a guess at given I don't see Scarce very often.

Sorry, I was a bit loose with my wording there, because I was thinking about Southern emeralds. There were plenty of emeralds which weren't Southern, which were a mix of Common and Scarce, but the ones I got a clear look at were mainly Scarce with only a couple of Common. There were a fair number that I didn't bother to look at closely once I'd ruled out Southern, and some that were immature which I wouldn't want to take a guess at given I don't see Scarce very often.
Fair enough, the Emeralds in SE Essex are probably a bit of an anomaly as Scarce are common and very much the default species, and there's nowhere I'm aware of locally where Common are present and Scarce aren't. Definitely a case of roles reversed, hence my comment.

Also worth pointing out that I've seen maybe 20 Southern Emeralds in six visits over the past few years, and, other than one on top of the seawall they've all been along the hedge I mentioned previously; I've not seen a single one actually in the ditch.

Fair enough, the Emeralds in SE Essex are probably a bit of an anomaly as Scarce are common and very much the default species, and there's nowhere I'm aware of locally where Common are present and Scarce aren't. Definitely a case of roles reversed, hence my comment.

Also worth pointing out that I've seen maybe 20 Southern Emeralds in six visits over the past few years, and, other than one on top of the seawall they've all been along the hedge I mentioned previously; I've not seen a single one actually in the ditch.
I saw about 4 in the ditch last year.

Good luck 😊
Great info Larry!

Good luck 😊
AAAAAARRGHG! Spent two days scouring bridge of grudie area and saw nothing - all the pools had dried out

AAAAAARRGHG! Spent two days scouring bridge of grudie area and saw nothing - all the pools had dried out
That was exactly what I found when I went there in 2014 - no pools just dry peat. Fortunately someone on here had tipped me off about Beinn Eighe so I did get to see the Azures.

Small Red Damselflies and unphotographed Scarce Blue-tails at a rather grey Shepton Water in the New forest 15.07.21.

Attachments

• 600E_7468.jpg
    600E_7468.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 3
Is it only me? Here in Surrey, every Sympetrum sp. I check turns out to be a ruddy darter - I still haven't seen a definite common darter, even in our garden pond which is usually reliable for them.

Attachments

• IMG_5576.JPG
    IMG_5576.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5577.JPG
    IMG_5577.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 7
Is it only me? Here in Surrey, every Sympetrum sp. I check turns out to be a ruddy darter - I still haven't seen a definite common darter, even in our garden pond which is usually reliable for them.
I only saw my first Common Darters on 14th - all immatures. Yet to see a Ruddy but am off to Emer Bog (Hants) in a minute which is my home banker for the species.

Had over 60 Common Darters today at Perivale, west London, with many pairs ovipositing. Had an early mass emergence in mid June & for the first time saw this species before Emperor! Have seen few Ruddy Darters so far. Went to Bookham Common yesterday for butterflies & normally find quite a lot of mature males but found only a couple of immature males. It's been a strange season for sure!

Vagrant Emperor reported at Whiteley Pastures, Hampshire this afternoon 100 yards from entrance. No other information at present.

Dave W

Now re-identified as Lesser Emperor.

Dave W
Still a very scarce dragonfly in Hampshire. I suspect they breed at Blashford but distances are so far and access to walking round most of the lakes is non-existent. Where are the nearest lakes to Whitely ?

Well, I did it, after failing to find the Northern Emerald recently and then reading Larry's report I decided that a return trip was needed. I drove from South Wales to Loch Garten arriving at 20:30. I checked the boardwalk pond and found lots of Emerald damselfies in the rushes and also two female Black Darters.
After a sleep in the van I checked the channel again between Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie but only saw the usual Damselflies. I moved from here to the bend in the road that Larry mentioned and soon found the area but it was looking rather dry after all the sunshine. I walked out across the bog and saw a couple of dragonflies whizz past but too far and fast to identify, I was soon attracting a cloud of horseflies and so headed back to the road. A quick look at the small pond by the junction gave half a dozen White faced darters but they were not what I was searching for and so moved along to the pools below Gatehouse cottage. I saw lots of White Faced Darters here, a few hawkers and some Four Spotted Chasers. I moved closer to one of the ponds and saw a dragonfly rise up and land on a branch maybe ten ft in the air. I thought it had looked like a Four Spotted Chaser but crept slowly forward anyway, raised the binoculars and was greeted with a bright green thorax. What a beautiful sight , a Northern Emerald sitting there peacefully ignoring me while I took photos and fed horseflies.
No point staying any longer, it was midday , I had my 3 Highland species so I jumped in the van and drove ten hours home

Attachments

• Black Darter (2).JPG
    Black Darter (2).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Northern Emerald.JPG
    Northern Emerald.JPG
    747 KB · Views: 24
Well, I did it, after failing to find the Northern Emerald recently and then reading Larry's report I decided that a return trip was needed. I drove from South Wales to Loch Garten arriving at 20:30. I checked the boardwalk pond and found lots of Emerald damselfies in the rushes and also two female Black Darters.
After a sleep in the van I checked the channel again between Loch Garten and Loch Mallachie but only saw the usual Damselflies. I moved from here to the bend in the road that Larry mentioned and soon found the area but it was looking rather dry after all the sunshine. I walked out across the bog and saw a couple of dragonflies whizz past but too far and fast to identify, I was soon attracting a cloud of horseflies and so headed back to the road. A quick look at the small pond by the junction gave half a dozen White faced darters but they were not what I was searching for and so moved along to the pools below Gatehouse cottage. I saw lots of White Faced Darters here, a few hawkers and some Four Spotted Chasers. I moved closer to one of the ponds and saw a dragonfly rise up and land on a branch maybe ten ft in the air. I thought it had looked like a Four Spotted Chaser but crept slowly forward anyway, raised the binoculars and was greeted with a bright green thorax. What a beautiful sight , a Northern Emerald sitting there peacefully ignoring me while I took photos and fed horseflies.
No point staying any longer, it was midday , I had my 3 Highland species so I jumped in the van and drove ten hours home
Hooray! (you absolute nutter! 😉)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back