• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

UK ID Confirmation Please (1 Viewer)

Compuwight

United Kingdom
Shot this on marshland on the Isle of Wight, UK - I think it is a Juvenile Marsh Sandpiper ? I am basing this on the white round the eye ? K Juvenile Marsh Sandpiper.jpg

Essex Tern

Member since 2006
Supporter
England
Greenshank for me also - bill much stockier as well as upturned - Marsh would be needle like. Also note general heaviness of the bird compared to Marsh Sandpiper pictures e.g. at https://ebird.org/species/marsan

There is also a pronounced heavy dark line between eye and bill, Marsh Sandpiper would usually have a pale patch between bill and eye, around the bill base, and a fine line at the very most in this area.

Best to stand back and look at a number of features together unless a book points to a specific feature as diagnostic. It is good you got a decent photo to ID from though as this isnโ€™t always possible ๐Ÿ‘

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread