• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

UK- Isle of Wight - Can someone confirm this is a purple Heron please... (1 Viewer)

stuartelsom

Supporter
United Kingdom
Another vote for Purple Heron. Bill shape, small head. Overall jizz narrow and sinuous, so quite a reptilian feel to it.

Stu

Compuwight

United Kingdom
Well I visited again today and met a fellow who was alongside me at the time, interesting his pictures are just as bad - extreme heat haze - bright sunshine.
Also met the local RSPB warden who was able to confirm our sighting of a Purple Heron in the exact spot that it had been reported on numerous occasions.
alanc posted a picture of the same bird in the almost exact same location - LL on the Isle of Wight. Thankyou to all who have taken the time to post, it has been very informative - thanks again !

Sangahyando

First impression for me is Purple Heron, although, as discussed above, it's difficult to discern the relevant features, apart from the general outline.

Alexander Stöhr

Thanks especially to John Cantelo for his informative picture and to Alan for digging out the other picture, both helping with confident identification.

With the better picture, I think its safe to call this bird a 2 cy (?). Here is an older immature Purple Heron for comparison, where I got help regarding ageing from Christian Stohl and Julia Bayer (Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany, 09.04.2011)

Attachments

• Purpurreiher bearbeitet.JPG
    Purpurreiher bearbeitet.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread