• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

UK Native seedlings ID please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

These were gathered, this summer, in W Cornwall.
Due to a combination of stupidity and advanced years, I forgot to make a note of what they were or where I collected them.
Any ideas, guys?

TIA
Fof

P1030604 (small).jpg P1030609 (small).jpg P1030615 (small).jpg P1030619 (small).jpg

IamFof

aeshna5.
Yes and no.:):):) I remember now.
They are either white campion (Silene latifolia) or Silene latifolia x Silene dioica, but I think the former.
Both were growing in my garden, in an area that is currently becoming a Cornish hedge. I only harvested from the white.
The gorse is Ulex gallii, western gorse, waiting for the hedge to be finished. Pic is end of day, yesterday.

14th October.jpg
Again, thanks

aeshna5

Certainly looks identical to the Red Campion seedlings in my garden-but don't think you could differentiate a hybrid from seedlings. Will be interested to see them when they have flowered.

IamFof

I did read somewhere that the 2 spp S. dioca and latifolia are not able to be differentiated at seedling stage.
As you say, let's just wait and see.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread