• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

uk -nortumberland (1 Viewer)

_pauls

That helps me - I saw a number of similar birds while crossing the north sea from Kent toward Stavanger a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get any photos but the birds in question were like this.. notably all dark above except a pale flash on the rump. Is that really a gannet's bill though? Doesn't like pointy enough to me.

I didn't mark the ones I saw down as gannet even though I've seen lots of immature gannet in the past (albeit from the shore rather than looking down from above from a boat) and there adult gannets around - without any binoculars they looked slightly smaller and more dainty than gannets and less angular, but given the well established difficulty of establishing size I will happily discount that. I initially assumed some form of shearwater but couldn't match my recollection with any (likely) species.

If this is a gannet though then that's what I was seeing as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread