• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

UK Possible Spider - Crane Fly Attack (1 Viewer)

Pudsey Marle

United Kingdom
Taken in Norfolk last week - could this be a spider attacking a crane fly?

Any ID help appreciated

Attachments

• 0023M Unknown.jpg
    0023M Unknown.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 46

Andy Adcock

England
Isn't it a spider attacking the crane fly? Very hairy legs...

Looks like a garden spider
I see what looks to be a very 'unspider' like body and black head which seems to be shaped just like on the insect I attached? I've (badly!) outlined what I see as an oval body and an eye within the black head which I think looks unlike a spider.

I could be experiencing a mirage though?

Attachments

• 0023M Unknown.jpg
    0023M Unknown.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

THE_FERN

I see what looks to be a very 'unspider' like body and black head which seems to be shaped just like on the insect I attached? I've (badly!) outlined what I see as an oval body and an eye within the black head which I think looks unlike a spider.

I could be experiencing a mirage though?
I think you're seeing the underside, slightly blocked by the crane fly body. Probably you could count the leg bases (I haven't). Happy to accept lesser garden spider... I know nothing about spiders...

Andy Adcock

England
I think you're seeing the underside, slightly blocked by the crane fly body. Probably you could count the leg bases (I haven't). Happy to accept lesser garden spider... I know nothing about spiders...
OK, I'm convinced, especially as I know almost nothing about spiders either!

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread