• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultra light 8 x 32 dak < 400 gram (1 Viewer)

ruud5

Netherlands
Hi, Still searching on the net for a light and compact 8x32 with the best buiding quality. (I can't visit the shops yet..)

Find 3 options on the net;

Snipex Knight D-ED 8x32, 380 gr., FOV 6,7*, polycarbonate
Opticon Traveller 8x32 mg, 380 gr., FOV 6,4*, magnesium
Vixen Atrex II 8x32, 390 gr., FOV 7,5*, material ?

-Are there more (better) options with that low weight?
-Can anybody say something about the different in quality?
-Is there a review of the Vixen Atrec II. What kind of materials are used?

thnks,
Ruud

Give these folks a ring, they may be able to advise you.......

At this price point, they will all be much the same quality of optics and build..... mostly clones coming from China but with different badges. Opticron however is a well known brand and company here in the UK with very good aftersales and customer care.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you will have the same problem as with your previous thread....

Anything under that arbitrary 400g mark is going to be mediocre quality, there are NO premium 8x30/32 binoculars that light (at least none that I'm aware of).

If you want something very light with premium build quality + good optics you only have a few choices:
  • if size/weight is the biggest concern, get the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Compact
  • if if has to be a 30/32mm optic, go up to ~450g where there are some good quality options
What you want (a premium sub 400g 30mm binocular) really does not exist! The lightest you will find is ~450-475g (Nikon Monarch HG, Swarovski 8x30 CL, Opticron Traveler ED, Kite Lynx, etc)

The ONLY premium optic that is significantly lighter than those, but still has good handling, is the Zeiss Victory 8x25. And even then, I wouldn't call the build quality "premium". If I threw it off a cliff with my wife's Leica Ultravid 8x32, I know which one I'm betting on to still work when it reaches the bottom.

So I think you have to decide, what is more important to you? Staying below 400g? Or having premium optics and build / handling?

Based on your previous thread, I predict with high confidence that you will not be happy with any of these inexpensive Chinese clone options (Vixen Atrex / Opticron Discovery / etc). They are decent for the price, but there is nothing "premium" about them.

I have the Opticron Discovery 8x32 and Traveler ED 8x32 right now -- the Traveler ED is significantly better in all respects, including build quality. As it should be for 2x the price. But I still wouldn't call the Traveler ED "premium" in build quality, more "good enough" in a utilitarian way.

I agree completely with Eitan's assessment. The combination of <400g and 32mm objective relegates you to subpar optics. If you want good quality, your choices remain:

Kite Lynx / Opticron Traveler ED in 8x30/8x32
Zeiss Victory 8x25
Nikon Monarch HG 8x30
Swarovski 8x30

They are all very good to excellent bins at their price points. None of the others you are considering are close to as good. I love this category of bins and personally chose an 8x30 over the (excellent) Zeiss. I also chose the Nikon over the (also excellent) Swarovski for personal reasons. I could be just as happy with the Zeiss or the Swarovski, however. They are three amazing binoculars.

I made a choice after 4 weeks search for my first binocular.
You helped me all very wel for that. Thank you so much.

One week ago there where fore me two options left; The traveller 8x32 ED and the Kite Lynx. I like all the specs. Except the dimensions and the weight...
That made me thinking.. It must be very easy to take it with me..

So I came out on the Zeiss Victory 10x25. I read what Eitam say. You wanted a premium 8x32 sub 400 gram. Exact. And as small as possible. But still 8x32!

So I ordered the Traveller 8x32 mg. I know, It is a compromis. A narrow view and no premium quality. But it is the smallest with a medium quality with low weight, so I shall carry it with me.

Thanks all again.

FWIW the Opticron Traveller 8x32 actually has an exceptionally good field of view for its magnification. It's certainly not alpha level, but the combination of size, weight, and performance are an excellent value. I use my very similar Maven 8x30s more than my larger more expensive binoculars.

FWIW the Opticron Traveller 8x32 actually has an exceptionally good field of view for its magnification. It's certainly not alpha level, but the combination of size, weight, and performance are an excellent value. I use my very similar Maven 8x30s more than my larger more expensive binoculars.
I think the OP is referring to the mg version, which has a FoV of 6.3 degrees

My mistake, I hope you get on ok with them, though I see Opticron discontinued that line last month. The arbitrary 400g weight limit is rather unfortunate since there are so many better options around 450g.

He said if they weighed more than 400 gm. he wouldn't take them with him.

I can't imagine the compromises necessary to get an 8X32 at or under under 400 gm.

He said if they weighed more than 400 gm. he wouldn't take them with him.

I can't imagine the compromises necessary to get an 8X32 at or under under 400 gm.
I understand

But;

• It is not only the 380 gramm. A lot of difference in compare with 450!
  • It is also the size. The bg is < 100 mm small
  • Magnesium body
  • I could get it for a good price

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back