• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid HD+ - Any changes in the overdrive past infinity? (1 Viewer)

etc

Of all the Alphas, Leica is my favorite. Yet I don't use it because with eyesight at -5.5 Diopters (equal in both eyes), it lacks enough overdrive past infinity to be useful without eyewear. The old Trinovid stopped at -4D as did the Ultravid that replaced it.
I stopped worrying about it about a decade ago and just got a Swaro EL 8.5x. Which is nice.
But I would like to return to Leica, looking at the 8x42 UV HD+, or maybe the 7x42 model and am wondering if they are still stuck at -4D or like Zeiss or Swaro go to at least -5.5 with their overdrive past infinity values.

etc

I'm not an expert but the markings on the diopter scale on my 7x42 HD+ only go to 4. It can be adjusted slightly beyond the markings but my guess would be only to @ 4.5 or so.

Mike

I read user reports that some manufacturers of expensive binoculars can individually increase the overdrive/overtravel past infinity in relation to normal-sighted observers at the expense of the close-up setting for short-sighted observers without glasses. Please ask the manufacturer of bins with specification of your data of spectacles and binoculars.

Mike, the OP doesn't mean diopter setting. Overdrive/overtravel (with focus wheel) has imho no scale, in datasheets mostly not noted. Best regards. Jessie

Last edited:
I read user reports that some manufacturers of expensive binoculars can individually increase the overdrive past infinity in relation to normal-sighted observers at the expense of the close-up setting for short-sighted observers without glasses. Please ask the manufacturer with specification of your individual data of spectacles.

Mike, the OP doesn't mean diopter setting. Overdrive with focus wheel has imho no scale, in datasheets mostly not noted. Jessie

Thanks Jessie. You are correct. I didn't read the Op carefully enough.

what is Ultravid's HD PLUS 10x50 diopter correction at infinity?

Both my 7x42 and 8x42 UV HD+ appear to go at least 7 diopters past infinity. I can't be certain, since the scales are only marked to 4, and I don't know if they are linear beyond that point, but my guess is that either one would easily accommodate your -5.5 diopter requirement. If you could find one to try, or a dealer with a good return policy, you might discover a pleasant surprise.

Regards,
John

Diopter correction at infinity is not marked, it's not the diopter wheel that adjusts the differential between barrels but the main focus wheel, how far to the right can it turn.

Diopter correction at infinity is not marked, it's not the diopter wheel that adjusts the differential between barrels but the main focus wheel, how far to the right can it turn.
I believe the OP's original question did not relate to any diopter difference between the barrels, but rather how far past infinity the bino can focus with the diopter correction set to zero. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

My situation is if you are blind as a bat but equally so in both eyes meaning the diopter setting is set to 0 but you need generous over-ride past infinity.
I have -5.25D, both Swaro EL and Zeiss SF seem to accommodate that. EL states it has -6D and SF seems to have about the same though I cannot find a confirmation.

Sadly none of the new Swaro NL Pure go beyond -5D. The 10x EL goes to -5 as well. The SCL 10x56 goes to a generous -8D so that will be my next device.

I like the Leica vibe, in both 8x42 and 10x50 Ultravids but it has a substandard diopter correction at infinity of only -4D so it's not even considered. They haven't changed that since Trinovid times and carried it over to latest-greatest.

I got a Zeiss 10x54 HT and it's very nice with a generous 7 Diopters of correction at infinity.

Is there any Leica at all that can do at least 6 Diopters at infinity? I want to trade my 8x42 Zeiss SF for a 10x50 Leica but am concerned that it will have the same limitation as my old 8x42 Trinovid.
Edit: Apparently it does, 10x50 Ultravid has 4.5 Diopters at infinity.

Last edited:
I got a Zeiss 10x54 HT and it's very nice with a generous 7 Diopters of correction at infinity.

Is there any Leica at all that can do at least 6 Diopters at infinity? I want to trade my 8x42 Zeiss SF for a 10x50 Leica but am concerned that it will have the same limitation as my old 8x42 Trinovid.
Edit: Apparently it does, 10x50 Ultravid has 4.5 Diopters at infinity.

Just out of interest, why do you want to swap the Zeiss SF for a Leica. Those SF's are top drawer!!
I doubt you'll see any improvement in optical quality, if not a slight drop, and I guess the SF works for you or you wouldn't have bought it??

I don't care for Leica specifically, over Zeiss. I only care about increased objective size. I want 50mm instead of 42mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back