• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid UVHD Plus 8x32 or 10x32? (1 Viewer)

For multi purpose use including travel but mainly birding. All environments often on the continent. The model seems to meet my needs. My question is the 8x or 10x. Thoughts gratefully received.

IMO, 8x's are more desirable unless you are primarily birding (or other outdoor viewing) at long distances. I prefer the larger exit pupil, wider FOV, and steadier image. Are you looking at Zeiss or Swaros? Might be worth comparing the three as ergonomics make such a difference.

I think you hv made a solid choice with the UVHD. If you are doing a lot of shore birding etc… do the 10x… otherwise the 8x . The UVHD’s are also very compact, while the Swaro and Zeus, not as much so.

I think you hv made a solid choice with the UVHD. If you are doing a lot of shore birding etc… do the 10x… otherwise the 8x . The UVHD’s are also very compact, while the Swaro and Zeus, not as much so.
Which is why I mentioned ergos. I bought a pair of the 7x42 UVHDs a couple weeks ago and while beautiful in construction and optics, totally unusable to me due to their ergonomics. They went back the same day. Absolutely no knock on Leica, they simply didn't fit me.

For multi purpose use including travel but mainly birding. All environments often on the continent. The model seems to meet my needs. My question is the 8x or 10x. Thoughts gratefully received.

I love 10x32, including the UVHD+. But for me it is a little harder to hold steady than my other 10x32 bins because the UV is very compact but heavy. This may not be a problem for you and is not a significant problem for me, just slightly noticeable. "Dense" is often used to describe the feel in hand. Depending on what other bins you have and whether you wear glasses the 8x may be a better all around choice.

Mike

Having both 8x32 UVHD+ and 10x32 UVHD+, I often can't decide which I prefer. (In x32 format, I also have 8x32 SF, 10x32 SF, and 8x32 Conquest HD.)

But for general use... probably the 8x32, unless you will be doing a good bit of long distance viewing. 8x is a bit easier to achieve a stable view with, but stability varies from individual to individual. These two UVHD+ bins (8x32 and 10x32) are so close in physical specifications/dimensions that I can't tell them apart without looking at the labels. And I love them both.

Lastly, you made a super choice with Ultravid HD+. I use mine every day and each time I pick them up, bring them to my eyes, I marvel at the fine build quality and feel, and of course the deliciously rewarding "view". You are treated to exceptional clarity and sharpness, along with gorgeous contrast and color rendering. Also, no glare, nor CA issues. That's what makes the UVHD+ easily worth the asking price.

Last edited:
8x - easier to follow close-in birds due to wider field of view, greater depth of field (less fiddling with focus), larger exit pupil
10x - more magnification for distant observation (open areas, lake/seashore, raptors), wider apparent field can feel more immersive

It's a matter of personal taste as well as practical considerations. I have the 10x32 UV; more people seem to prefer 8x. Try both and decide.

Thanks for those comments. Any more before I take the plunge?

The only comment I would add is "Try before you buy", there must be somewhere within an hour’s or so drive (I hope) where you could make an appointment and look through both in the same conditions.
I'm sure a reputable dealer will get the required models in if they realise that you are a serious customer

Yes ... if you are an eyeglasses user I would reconsider the UV, otherwise really good binoculars!

Andreas
Eye relief is an issue with Leica bins that I've tried (7x42 UV and 7x35 Retro). I couldn't use either with OR without glasses (I don't wear prescription lenses) with FOV and blackout issues. That's why I say to people asking this or those questions is ergonomics are as important, probably more so, than optics for comfortable use.

8x all day long. The difference in resolving power of 10's, is negated by the steadier view of 8. I don't think there is much you can see with a 10, but can't see with an 8, unless you use a tripod, in which case 10's may work...... but.....
Better FOV, and depth of field with the 8's.
And better light gathering.....
To me, 10's only offer a tiny bit more magnification, but the downsides are quite a lot.

Not sure how noticeable the difference might be, but for the previously mentioned stability, together with the 4mm exit compared to 3.2mm, primarily for better dusk/dawn viewing, I went with the 8x32 HD+. Spent a bit of the summer and fall looking through 8 and 10 power binoculars and just prefer the 8 for all general viewing.

Update! Best to finish this thread off with thanks to contributors and the result. I went for the 8x32. Very happy. The optics are great and I'm pleased I pushed out the boat to get such quality. Cleyspy the provider, top marks to them too.
Excellent. And you are very welcome. You've got an exceptionally fine pair of binoculars there, to enjoy for the rest of your life!

I'd always go with 8x in a 30/32mm objective for all the reasons stated.
This was how I felt too up until a few weeks back when I got my 10X32 Ultravid HD+, which I plan on keeping, and selling the 8x32 version.

Still keeping the more versatile 8x32 BN too but the 10X32 is much easier to use than I'd expected it to be.

Attachments

• FBE2589B-37A0-44FE-9A56-D4CF3879DF69.jpeg
    FBE2589B-37A0-44FE-9A56-D4CF3879DF69.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Also, no glare, nor CA issues.
This is interersting, ZD. I have the 10x non-plus and the 8x plus version. While CA is, indeed, no issue in the 8x32+ for me, it is quite an issue in the 10x32 non-plus (for me). I would love to compare the 10x32 plus to the non-plus version with regard to CA. But who would own both?

Which is why I mentioned ergos. I bought a pair of the 7x42 UVHDs a couple weeks ago and while beautiful in construction and optics, totally unusable to me due to their ergonomics. They went back the same day. Absolutely no knock on Leica, they simply didn't fit me.
In what way, the face/eyes, or hands??

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back