• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Underwatched areas of the Yorkshire Coast (1 Viewer)

Andrew Clarke

Greetings

So I’m contemplating a trip east (and I don’t mean as far as Rhyl for a change...) and am thinking of heading to the Yorkshire coast.

Although I don’t mind the company of a few birders large crowds really aren’t my thing and I love the frisson of excitement/disappointment that comes from searching for my own birds. I’m wondering if any locals could guide me towards underwatched/unexplored areas of the coast, even parts of the known hotspots (Filey, Flamborough and Spurn?) that receive little coverage.

Any information will be gratefully received - forecast is promising over the next few days for some interesting birding. It might even bring another real Mugimaki Flycatcher :-O

Good Birding

Andrew

PS title should have been ‘Underwatched areas of the Yorkshire Coast’ but can’t work out how to edit the thread title or delete it?

Last edited:
I used to watch Barmston, South of Flamborough and whilst it was great fun, it was hard work compared to the honeypots. Speeton would be my suggestion, at the North end of the Flamborough recording area as it meets the Filey recording area. A lot of areas to the south have relatively little coastal vegetation. Some of the York birders (Russ Slack for instance), used to head up to the Whitby area which has plenty of vegetation and terrible coverage. A quick Google will give you an idea of vegetated areas.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

James, I remember seeing Lapland Buntings in stubble fields at Barmston in the mid-80’s (they might even have been lifers at the time). As you say there’s a shocking lack of cover along many sections of the coast as it looks to be ploughed to the cliff top. However this might make the remaining pockets of cover even more desirable to passing migrants.

Rosbifs, there do look to be some tasty bits of cover around Runswick Bay and in the Whitby area. Interesting...

I remember discussing this subject with someone once who suggested Grimston just north of Withernsea.

Anyway thanks again people and if you’re lurking on the edge of this thread jump in with your suggestions.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

James, I remember seeing Lapland Buntings in stubble fields at Barmston in the mid-80’s (they might even have been lifers at the time). As you say there’s a shocking lack of cover along many sections of the coast as it looks to be ploughed to the cliff top. However this might make the remaining pockets of cover even more desirable to passing migrants.

Rosbifs, there do look to be some tasty bits of cover around Runswick Bay and in the Whitby area. Interesting...

I remember discussing this subject with someone once who suggested Grimston just north of Withernsea.

Anyway thanks again people and if you’re lurking on the edge of this thread jump in with your suggestions.

Grimston has a resident birder, Tim, who finds all sorts so is well covered relatively speaking but agree it is an excellent spot.

Yes, Grimston has turned up some great birds. I used to live in Withernsea (1976-82, when Tim was a very keen teenage birder) but had no transport then so walked the coast to the south as far as Holmpton. No other birders but not many birds either, though the cover around Holmpton village has produced a few bits and pieces since and must be worth more coverage. There is precious little cover between there and Easington where the Spurn near-saturation coverage starts.

Cowden camp and Aldbrough area, between Grimston and Hornsea, certainly worth considering. Think Blue-cheeked Bee-eater and Brown Shrike.

Then anywhere between Hornsea and Bridlington. Not much cover anywhere, but there isn't a lot at Flamborough or Filey.

I am toying with the idea of moving back to the east Yorks coast to see out my days so have been giving the various locations some thought.

Steve

Holmpton can be good and is relatively under watched I've found Red-backed Shirke Rose-coloured Starling and Firecrest as well a few Yellow-broweds over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back